Short version: Be polite. This blog is widely read. We have people of all genders, ages, and ethnicity and we hope you will help us do our best to make everyone welcome.
- Don’t be mean.
- Don’t belittle or shame other readers based on their sexual preferences, politics, religion, or their reading tastes.
- Don’t link to fanfic.
- Don’t link to pirate sites.
- Don’t take it upon yourself to tell us how to write or demand that we censor ourselves on your account.
- Don’t bash other authors. “I didn’t like Author A’s book” is okay. “Author A is a hack” is not okay.
Sometimes people break the rules. If you are one of those people and your comment doesn’t appear on the blog right away, it’s because it’s held in the moderation queue. Once it’s determined that it complies with blog’s guidelines, it will be released into the wild.
Things that usually land you in moderation:
- insulting other readers
- shaming other readers for their views on politics, sex, or religion
- demanding that the authors censor themselves or alter the book to your liking
- continuing an argument after another reader asked you to stop
- linking to a pirate site
- hate speech, such as using racial or ethnic slurs or threatening violence
Please be aware that moderation is temporary and in most cases will be immediately lifted upon receiving an apology to the injured party. It has to be a real apology though. None of that “I’m sorry you feel that way” stuff. 🙂
Moderation doesn’t mean that we are mad at you or we don’t like you. It just means that you said something that wasn’t well-thought out. Everyone does this once in a while, including us. It happens.