FATE’S EDGE is turned in. At the end we were doing 3-5K every day, which is a crazy pace. Strangely, it didn’t seem too insane after a while. I’m beginning to think that 3K a day should be the way to go. Scrivener, which is the writing program I use, lets me set the target word count and gives me a lovely visual representation of it. When I bellyached to Jeaniene Frost a while ago about how I had doubts of making it and visions of my brain melting, she suggested setting it to 1,200 words.
Twelve hundred words didn’t seem too bad – that’s my “average” daily word count. I’d get to 1,200 words, the bar would turn green, and I’d think, “I could do more…” And I did.
The biggest factor is superior productivity was limiting the internet. If I just stayed the hell away from Facebook/Twitter and didn’t get worked up about things that had nothing to do with me, I wrote a lot faster. Yes, Captain Obvious, Internet is a time-suck. Imagine that surprise. O.o
Now that FATE’S EDGE is in, it should come back to us relatively quickly for edits. Meanwhile I found a small heap of things that need to be done.
- Ebooks – we need to get off our butts and finish three half-finished projects.
- I need to buy Quickbooks and get some sort of system of e-royalty tracking into place.
- I need to unpack the office, hook up the printer, print contracts and mail them.
- Need to get a P.O. Box.
- Need to unpack. Gordon heroically put the bookshelves together, but we still have a couple that need to be dealt with. Also all my clothes are in boxes.
- Need to repaint: the living room is a terrible brown color. I think they were aiming for coffee with cream, but some green had snuck into their brown and the effect is not nice.
- Blog – I love this theme, but it is in dire need of tweaking or perhaps developing new theme that looks just like this one, but is less pain on the back end.
- Need to renew domains
- Need to sort out my new knitting space – does it ever get cold in Austin? What could I knit that children would actually wear? I have no clue.
And today I’ll need to take Kid 1 to orthodontist because her braces hurt.