Author Topic: Andrea Story Snippet discussion  (Read 51088 times)

Chelle

• Free Person of the Code
Re: Andrea Story Snippet discussion
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »
I have a theory regarding Bea and Andrea.

Am I allowed to have a theory?

It may not be my theory but one others have considered - so groupthink theory?

Anyway - my theory is this:  Bea is the leader of a group of sexual deviants, but she's mentioned that she plans to one day step down as leader of the Boudas.  Boudas, being Hyenas, are lead by dominant females.  Could it be that she's been waiting for retirement for one female to come forward who would have enough sense and discipline to ride herd on the rest of the clan?  If so, it would explain why she's pushy with Andrea.  We haven't seen much of the rest of the clan, but what we have seen doesn't give me much hope that there are many female Boudas who could be trusted to reign in that crew - outside of Jez who is damaged socially by being 'walking dead'.

Just a thought.

I should probably avoid thinking during migraines.  Wierd stuff comes out.

(found on the central message board on Mount Olympus) My fellow gods and goddesses - While we are all eager to return to Earth now that magic has returned, after observing the fate of those pantheons who have journeyed there since The Shift, I have decided that we will not be setting foot in the City of Atlanta or the State of Georgia in the country known as the USA at all.  Such action is not conducive to our continued health or longevity. - Zeus

kitkat9000

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2012, 05:09:46 am »
Loved the snippet and as always want more. Problem is, the books/stories are so good it's hard not to be greedy. August (& Feb 2013) can't come fast enough.

Having read the books and some (far too many for all) of the online discussions, I seem to be coming at this from another direction. I want Aunt B to get her comeuppance. Truly. She so deserves it. I know about the 3 day rule, but B just had to push it. I agree that she may be thinking of Andrea to replace her as Alpha. But I'm also thinking of the comment Curran made about putting B "in her place" because she needed to be taught a lesson. (Don't remember the title offhand, don't have books here, but it was after he found out Kate had been given Barabas & Jezebel.)

How about this: Kate & Curran announce in front of the pack that Andrea will be granted special friend of the pack status because she is Kate's friend & employee, but mostly because Aunt B's insistence on seeing Andrea right then ending up endangering Julie. (Andrea definitely could have taken the Render out before the kids got hurt.) Thus B is publicly smacked down while also avoiding the beastkin issue. Oh, and they would add that if Andrea should choose to later become a full-fledged member of the pack, Kate & Curran would welcome her in. And any problems/questions pack members may have regarding beastkin acceptance should be addressed to them. In person. Anyone else feel the same?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:19:25 am by kitkat9000 »

4manda9

• Kitten
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2012, 09:40:50 am »
I've found the snippet on the website and printed it off as I can't really read it all at work!!
 ;D

Sounds like Raphael has alot of grovelling to do with all the other comments posted  >:(

lia

• Cub
Gunmetal Magic - Andrea's book
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:07 pm »
I looked for a topic on like this but couldn't find one (I'm kind of search inept on this forum, though, can never find what I'm looking for), sorry if there's something already started!

I just read the Chapter 1 snippet Ilona posted and loved it!  So excited for Andrea's book.  It was a great intro, a smooth way to introduce what Andrea does and where she works, that she's a shapeshifter and most people don't know, and she's got issues with a certain Raphael.  And we got a glimpse of her past in the beginning nightmare.  Can't wait for more!

Also, I heard (from stalking Ilona's twitter) that there won't be a love triangle, which is making me go  jumP ...I hate love triangles.

Kitara

• Beast Lord
  • Whatever, Your Furriness.
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Gunmetal Magic - Andrea's book
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2012, 08:52:44 pm »
Hi, lia! This should probably go here Andrea Story Snippet Discussion. Until a few weeks after the book is released it is usually confined to the snippet/spoiler section of the forum, so people who haven't read the book don't accidentally stumble on spoiler info.

Would it be possible for the Mods to merge this with the other thread?

(Also loved the first chapter, but no love triangle? I wouldn't mind a tiny one, just to kick at Raphael.)
Phantom Poodle Art By Ana

Argantel

• Beast Lord
Re: Gunmetal Magic - Andrea's book
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:58 am »
(Also loved the first chapter, but no love triangle? I wouldn't mind a tiny one, just to kick at Raphael.)

My thoughts exactly. Doesn't have to be a triangle that proceeds into the love stage, if it's just the courting stage then it's much fun. And in this case, well deserved.

MinnChica

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 01:01:10 pm »
I've merged these two topics. :)
The opposite of War isn't peace, it's Creation.
www.thebookpushers.com

lia

• Cub
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »
I've merged these two topics. :)

Thank you! Sorry for making more work for you - I figured since he stuff about Edge 4 was in the "Books" section, stuff about Andrea's book should be too, but it makes sense about the spoilers.

As for love triangles... I'm all up for one party trying to bait the other by showing off their newest boy/girl toy, but serious "which one do I pick?! I like them both! Let me string them along and see which one is left standing when this is over" love triangles drive me nuts.

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2012, 01:35:31 pm »
As for love triangles... I'm all up for one party trying to bait the other by showing off their newest boy/girl toy, but serious "which one do I pick?! I like them both! Let me string them along and see which one is left standing when this is over" love triangles drive me nuts.

I'll agree with that.  noDDing

Itsy-Cat

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 07:24:17 pm »

I'll agree with that.  noDDing

I agree with that too. I hate it when a character claims they're in love with two people, but 'just can't choose between them', and therefore they seem to think it's okay to just string them both along or jump back and forth from one to the other. I just end up hating the character and thinking "If you're going to treat them like that, it's pretty obvious that you don't really love either of them."
Still, the more... I don't know...mild? love triangles, where characters are still figuring out how they feel, but they're not stringing several people along or hopping from one relationship to the next and then back to the first again, those can work out pretty well, if that makes sense?

Anyway, with Andrea's story, it might be interesting if there was a sort of mild interest/flirting sort of love triangle.  ???
We know Roman's interested in Andrea (from Magic Slays), but I don't think they've actually had a conversation yet, have they? (Not counting Roman's offer to model a fur hat) and I kind of want to see how they'll interact.

At the moment I still want Andrea and Raphael to eventually work things out though. (After Raphael's stopped being an idiot and apologised or done something to make up for it.)

lia

• Cub
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:44 pm »
I could do "mild love triangle" - where it's not love yet, it's just figuring things out.  Nothing wrong with a bit of competition.  I think it's the indecisiveness on the part of the heroine (typically.  Can't think of a 1 guy 2 girls set-up) that irks me.

Also, release date has been moved up! July 31, 2012!  A whole month earlier than I expected!  ParTy

dsolo

« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2012, 09:51:28 am »
re: 3 day rule.  Isn't there a precedent for not joining the pack with Solomon Red?  He got a special dispensation, and had a financial arrangement with the pack.  I'm not sure if they can call her a Friend of the Pack, but there must be something Curran can do.  After all, he's the one who "allows" the others to be Alphas.  Barabas and Jezebel are not directly under Aunt B anymore, since there loyalty is transferred to Kate.  Also, Derek was directly under Jim, then Curran and outside the wolf pack hierarchy.  Andrea could be assigned to Kate's personal guard, and not be part of the bouda clan.  I'm betting that Derek will be leaving Cutting Edge to become wolf Alpha.  Maybe Jennifer will remain female Alpha until he mates.  Boy, pack politics are convoluted.

dsolo

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2012, 08:05:20 pm »
Just went back and read all of the posts in this section, and there's a lot of anger (mostly well deserved) aimed at Raphael.   A couple of points to consider though, re: not checking up on her after Erra - she left town (remember, Kate couldn't find her or find out what happened to her).   Also, has Andrea been as forthcoming with Raphael about her past, as she has with Kate?  It's not just that she was tortured by her former pack, but also that she is considered an abomination by other shapeshifters.  Raphael looked past that, so he should get some points for that.  Not helping a beastkin, is not the same as not helping other shifters during an emergency.  For Andrea to not go was a slap in the face to Raphael.  She was deliberately choosing to follow an order from someone who considered him, and his family, non-human.  After all that he had done to win her over, and to make her feel accepted, that had to have been a big betrayal.  I understand how important the Order was to Andrea, but she spent a bit too much time in denial.  She took a long time to put on her big girl pants and call anyone, including Kate.  It's immature, but I think Raphael was trying to hurt Andrea as much as he was hurt.  The only way he could really do that was to throw her apology in her face, like she threw her choice into his.  The wolves and the boudas might not get along, but when push comes to shove, the Pack comes first.  Raphael is an alpha, and Aunt B was assuming that someday Andrea would be alpha.  Not an auspicious start when you don't put Pack first.

As for Ascenio, Andrea had him go out the opposite door from the bimbo, so that Raphael didn't have to punish him.  I hope we get to see a scene with Aunt B and Bimbo.
And for the record, I'm pretty sure that Raphael is not celibate anymore.  That was the whole point of bringing her, and putting his hand on her butt to push her in the door.  Keep in mind, celibacy is not natural for boudas, and Andrea has given Raphael no reason to wait for her.  That said,  I liked their couple dynamic, and can't wait to see how it plays out.  Come on July!

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »
The wolves and the boudas might not get along, but when push comes to shove, the Pack comes first.  Raphael is an alpha, and Aunt B was assuming that someday Andrea would be alpha.  Not an auspicious start when you don't put Pack first.

In some ways I think she did put pack first, what she considered her pack, The Order. I don't think Raphael was willing to understand that The Order was her pack, and she was given an order by her alpha. No one, even now, considers Andrea part of the Pack. And everyone quietly knows that some of the Pack would hate her guts and try to kill her for something she can't control. AND they have never gone out of their way to help her, as an entity. So she, in reality has no loyalty to them. To Raphael, yes, but not to the Pack. I wonder, if the situation had been reversed, if Knights were in trouble and Curran ordered Raphael not to help them, what would Raphael's response be?

dsolo

« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2012, 12:23:49 am »
Good point re: the Order is Andrea's pack.  The corollary with Raphael not helping the Order doesn't exactly work.  It's hard to think of a good example, but it would be similar to a light skinned black person passing as white and joining the KKK.  That's not really the best example, but Andrea is denying who she is, and she is part of an organization that is at best, suspicious of shapeshifters, and at worst, downright hostile to them.  The Pack doesn't trust others for a reason.  It's not paranoia, if they really are out to get you.  Granted, the whole Lyc-V thing is scary.  If you're infected, you are no longer fully human, and there's a possibility that you will go completely insane and kill your family.  Humanity has had to deal with a lot, since the shift.  I was disappointed in the Order though, because there are obviously magic users in their ranks, helping to protect people.  It would be easy to be either jealous or afraid of someone with abilities that you could never have.
Maybe a better example for Raphael would be if Curran forbade him to do something involving the boudas.  It seems like this book is going to have some personal growth on Andrea's part re: acceptance of who she is.  Obviously, not all boudas are like her family, even though they are crazy.  I got the impression from Kate's first experience with them, that part of that is exaggerated as a defense mechanism.  They are one of the smallest clans, so they have to make sure everyone feels like it's not worth it to mess with them.  As soon as Raphael realized Kate was bringing an injured bouda, he snapped into responsible Alpha role.  He's another one that needs to grow up.