Author Topic: Andrea Story Snippet discussion  (Read 59217 times)

dsolo

• Free Person of the Code
Re: Andrea Story Snippet discussion
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2012, 09:51:58 pm »
Since I wrote my comment about Raphael, I have reread Magic Mourns, and Andrea did tell him what bouda meant to her.  Since I have been rereading all of the books, while anxiously waiting for snippets, I have a better handle on Raphael.  He is very spoiled, but he's also very hurt.  In Magic Slays, Kate tells him that he hasn't been with anyone else since she left and that he killed Tara when she checked to see if he was still a man and it escalated.  He was also avoiding the clan, and throwing himself into work.  This sounds like the first time Raphael has ever been in love, and been rejected.  He's not dealing well, and he most likely got involved with the bimbo after Andrea started working at Cutting Edge, and still didn't contact him.  Before that, he was still waiting for her to come back.  Neither of them handled it well, and she should have contacted him once she got off the pity pot.  He reacted in a childish manner, but if you look at it from the standpoint that everyone could have died if they hadn't stopped the Lighthouse Keepers, and she still didn't reach out to him, it makes more sense.  What's really sad is that he's letting his hurt feelings override his love for Andrea.  He knows her history and how damaged she is, but he's not seeing things from her point of view.  Someone made the point that The Order is Andrea's pack, and that's part of what makes her so vulnerable.  Everyone and everything she loves has turned against her (except Kate).

Also,  I think she's going to wind up having a special status like Barabas and Jezebel.

Itsy-Cat

« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »
He's not dealing well, and he most likely got involved with the bimbo after Andrea started working at Cutting Edge, and still didn't contact him.  Before that, he was still waiting for her to come back.  Neither of them handled it well, and she should have contacted him once she got off the pity pot. 

That's a good point. I could understand why Raphael was upset when Andrea chose the Order over the shapeshifters, but I was really annoyed with him when (I think in the snippets somewhere?) he seemed to have no sympathy for her needing to hide away in her apartment for a while, after the Order kicked her out. I thought it made sense that she'd need time to hide away and lick her wounds etc, and Raphael should have known that, considering how much the Order meant to her.
But after that, when she rejoined the rest of the world and started working at Cutting Edge, I don't think there was any mention of her trying to contact him at all, until she had to as part of this investigation.
So I guess Raphael was wallowing in his own feelings of self pity etc, and then he saw that Andrea had apparently moved on and no longer cared about him. Maybe he couldn't stop thinking of Andrea, tried to make himself snap out of it and move on, like Andrea had, then met the attractive, although kind of stupid bimbo, and started dating her to try and force himself to move on?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:01:54 pm by Itsy-Cat »

dsolo

« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »
I'm rereading Magic Slays (yet again), and Andrea came to Cutting Edge about 2 weeks after she got back from Wolf Trap, Va.  At that time when she and Kate talk, Raphael is not seeing anyone, and he is not meeting his responsibilities as Alpha.  That's partly why Curran gives Ascenio to Kate.  Curran also comments that he understands what Raphael is going through.  I realize that they have to find the Doomsday Device, but Andrea still makes no move to contact Raphael, and she avoids Aunt B, which leads to the "nice little chat" while the office was attacked.  So,  Raphael is bound to hear from his mother that Andrea is back, working for Kate and still rejecting the bouda clan.   She doesn't have the Order as an excuse anymore, and she is still rejecting her shapeshifter side.  I think at that point, Raphael snapped and decided to find the anti-Andrea.  It also seems that he is still not ready to fulfill his responsibilities as the bouda Alpha, since Aunt B apparently doesn't care for his new girlfriend and Ascenio is still with Kate.  I kind of feel sorry for Raphael, because he had to have been holding out hope that Andrea would come to her senses and call him.  By the time she did call him, it was because of an investigation, so even though she offered an apology, he was probably so pissed off that he was not going to be reasonable.  He wanted to hurt her, but once she shifted, he seems to have felt bad about it.  I still have hopes for them.  We kind of went through this with Kate and Curran.  As for Roman,  I don't care if he does look like a hidalgo pirate, he's a volhv for an evil god (and his family is crazier than the boudas!).

kstrick

• Kitten
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »
Agghhh, I can't wait to read this book!!

Sorry, had to break the tension. :)

So many thoughts- I just hope Andrea stays the strong female character that she is. It's ok for her accept her need for someone (most likely Raphael), but I don't want her going completely mushy all of a sudden and wimping out. I really don't want her to be a part of Clan Bouda at this point. She's just broken from the Order (which abandoned her) and she only now is finding footing on firm ground as to who she is, bouda, human, or both?

One of my favorite scenes of MSlays is when Andrea comes back and Kate accepts her whole-heartedly. She understood what Andrea had to go through with the Order and understood what it is to be a true friend (another reason why I love Kate!).

That's why I'm disappointed in Raphael- he was too impatient with Andrea. He just expected her to wake up one day with all of her hang ups about Boudas gone and to rejoice at being part of the Pack, just because he thought she should. And another thing that annoys me is that he is all angry at Andrea for not joining the Pack or choosing it over the Order, yet he's not fulfilling his duties to the Clan and he's behaving like a big baby... ???...he makes as much sense as a preteen girl (and I say this as having been one at one time). 

Meagbert0

• Kitten
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2012, 03:33:45 pm »
I just finished reading the latest snippet and I can't decide if I love or hate having the tease so close to the book coming out. Oh who am I kidding, I LOVE it! Roman! I cannot wait for more Roman and I am super intrigued by
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I think so but I'm not sure which is one of the great things about this series. Why can't I have a time machine so I can inhale every book at once!