Ilona Andrews
News: THE KATE DANIELS WIKI | Book Releases Calendar
Forum email address (Mods): forum.ilonaandrews@gmail.com
Homepage: www.ilona-andrews.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 22, 2014, 04:32:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HEYER, Georgette  (Read 3041 times)
BlueMtn
Beast Lord

Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them.

« on: July 31, 2009, 10:01:37 pm »

Okay, don't laugh, and I'm sure these books will date me - but I love the regency stories of Georgette Heyer.  These are not your bodice rippers, but wonderful character driven stories that worked within the universe they were created for.  The supporting cast was also delightful, and even if you knew nothing about the times, you were just transported and could easily get what was happening and why.  Think of Jane Austen - lite!

Some favorites:
The Unknown Ajax
The Grande Sophie
Devils Cub
These Old Shades
The Convenient Marriage
Black Sheep
Frederica

jikie
Lyc-V Infected

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 09:50:31 pm »

These are not your bodice rippers, but wonderful character driven stories that worked within the universe they were created for.  The supporting cast was also delightful, and even if you knew nothing about the times, you were just transported and could easily get what was happening and why.

True! Heyer's my fallback author, so I re-read her stuff everytime I hit a reading slump.
These Old Shades and Devils Cub are two of my favorite books of all times, but two other personal favorites are Venetia and Bath Tangle.
BlueMtn
Beast Lord

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:34:55 am »

True! Heyer's my fallback author, so I re-read her stuff everytime I hit a reading slump.
These Old Shades and Devils Cub are two of my favorite books of all times, but two other personal favorites are Venetia and Bath Tangle.

Yes!  If you want to just feel good and lose oneself in witty dialogue I'll add to your list:  Black Sheep, The Grand Sophy, Frederica, The Convenient Marriage,  The Corinthian, The Nonesuch, The Unknown Ajax    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Marirra
Cub

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:41:27 am »

No, reading those books has nothing to do with a certain age. I am 21 and read & enjoy them. When I was 14 my mother read The Grande Sophy to me in one night. She had all the books, too, so in the following weeks I submerged in this world. Somehow they are comforting. And I really enjoy the conversations in the books. Yes, I know it's crazy, but I doo  Wink

The two trophies of the rakshasas' might:
Me and the gem.
Where is your curse now, you dumb rock?
BlueMtn
Beast Lord

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:46 am »

I first read Georgette Heyer as a teenager, and that was many decades ago.  They have stood the test of time; I still enjoy going back and re-reading them now and then.  They just have a simple charm and wit that one needs once in a while.

kitkat9000
Free Person of the Code

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:28:09 pm »

Just happened to notice this this and thought "what the hell".

In 2011, while perusing the new fiction shelf, I grabbed a couple of mysteries written by Ms. Heyer. When I took the books to my Mom (she loves to read but doesn't always want to go to the library) she exclaimed how much she'd loved reading Heyer's Regencies when she was younger and just married. I asked about the author, because my mom was married in 1955...and I didn't really think Ms. Heyer could still be alive. She wasn't. Anyway, the acquisitions dept for my library had pruchased the Heyer books as they'd recently been rereleased. Mom was thrilled as I was able to pick up most of her romances (save 3-4) and all of her mysteries. After hearing her wax rhapsodic about the books (most though not all) I decided to read some of them. At the time I was in a romance mood, and as I love Regencies, started there and ended up reading them all. Some of the books were too silly for words and I hated them, most were okay to good, and about 6 of them made it to my reread shelf. Those I absolutely loved. I'm unable to recall all of the titles, but BlueMtn you listed some of my absolute favorites: These Old Shades, Devil's Cub and The Grand Sophie were the absolute best.

On a side note: has anyone read the book Georgeete Heyer's Regency World by Jennifer Kloester? It's an interesting book that details and defines words, phrases and customs of the era. Ms. Kloester also included (very) brief biographies of some of the most well known and major players of the time. Oh, and according to Amazon she released a biography of Ms. Heyer herself in January, which I've not yet read.
bedlambelle
Kitten

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »

So I know it has been a long time since anyone has written in this thread but I love Georgette Heyer. As Marrira said the conversations in there are great. I think it was from those books that I learned to love comments that can be taken more than one way. sly insults etc. For example, this wasn't in her books but telling someone that I hope they get everything they deserve. You can say that like you want good things for them while actually meaning the opposite. But the conversations in her books are filled with subtle jabs and I love it. Plus I just love her characters.
Beach Reader
Kitten

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:47:00 pm »

I just adore Heyer!!!  I have read every single one of her books multiple times!  And thank goodness they have been published again in recent years -- my library's HB copies from the 50s were in shreds!
bedlambelle
Kitten

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:58 pm »

Yeah, I replied to your post in the other thread as well. I have just discovered her because there was a main character in a different novel that bought some Heyer novels and I checked my library. I am so glad I did. I love her characters. Right now I am listening to the convenient marriage. That little Horry! lol And the men are so witty and capable. sigh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: