Author Topic: Retribution Clause (short story in Hex Appeal) - spoiler  (Read 14053 times)

dsolo

• Free Person of the Code
Retribution Clause (short story in Hex Appeal) - spoiler
« on: June 05, 2012, 10:11:08 pm »
Ilona and Gordon have done it again.  Now I want to know more about Adam and the magic users in Philadelphia.  I hope there is a companion series planned, since I have all sorts of questions about Adam's co-workers.  At least there was a little bit more explanation about where all the shapeshifters, witches, etc came from.  It was helpful to be familiar with the Kate Daniels series, but not necessary.  I read Magic Dreams and Magic Mourns before I read the books, and I was able to understand the world it was set in.  After I read the second story set in the post-Shift world, I went looking for anything by the same author, and fell in love with Kate and Curran.

necademis

• Kitten
Re: Retribution Clause (short story in Hex Appeal) - spoiler
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:31:47 pm »
I absolutely loved Retribution Clause.  Maybe we can bribe request a novella about the history of Saiman as well.   noDDing

dsolo

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 05:00:32 pm »
I've always found Saiman an interesting character.  How old is he?  When did his power manifest?  Now I have the same questions about Adam.  Must have been a shock when the magic hit, and all the people who thought they were ordinary suddenly had magic.  Maybe someday we'll get a prequel, or they'll write a companion book with the history of the Shift.  Wonder what kind of a bribe that would take?

Tgarfield

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:50:59 pm »
I too would love to see a story of the first flare and how people suddenly discovered their magical natures.

One of the Curran POVs was immediately after a gift of action figures.  Hmmmm.

dsolo

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:35 am »
Anyone have any ideas about which action figures Gordon likes or wants?

Kaelyn

• Alpha
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:24:00 pm »
Loved it! I hope we get to see more also.

Btw, thanks for setting a story in Philly! That would be my neck of the woods.  :)
"Rocks fall...Everyone dies."

"No, Bad Hobo"

dsolo

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:44:15 am »
I just reread the story, and saw something I missed in the first reading.  Adam wishing it was colder, because he was stronger in the cold.  Do you think that's why Saiman stays further south, to help control his Frost Giant side?  I was left wondering one thing, what really happened to the son?

lia

• Cub
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:15:01 pm »
That's the only thing you're wondering about?  I have so many questions!  Like what does POM stand for.  What curse was Siroun inflicted with?  How does she normally deal with the blood lust?  What happened to her sister's coven after she fought off the old god?

...I think this one needs a re-read.  Definitely liked the characters in this one, everyone from Adam and Siroun (how do you pronounce that?) to May and Chang.  The idea of a "retribution clause" was interesting, and we got more information on witch magic, which was nice.

dsolo

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:58 am »
I think Siroun's curse has to do with her powers.  Apparently, she has whatever abilities that the old god had, but it makes her more lethal and less trusting of humans, in addition to the whole blood lust thing (useful when killing is called for).  Primitive gods weren't subtle.  Consider Erra was an old god, Plaguebringer.  Now, I know it seems like she was a party girl, what with hanging out in bars, and making guys into gods, but she actually wasn't much of a people person.  I'm not sure how much fun it would be to have the emotions and motivations ascribed to a primitive god, along with a lot of power.  I'm thinking about Kate when she was looking up Chernbog(sp?), the god of all things evil, and she wondered why it's never the god of butterflies or sunshine on flowers (or something along those lines - I remember it was funny). 

Speaking of Siroun,  I'm guessing that even at 10, she had enough of her own magic plus centuries of civilization in her genetic makeup, to allow her to defeat whatever god her coven donated her to.   She's a bit like Andrea, betrayed by her family, or Julie (after her father died), losing her childhood.

We could guess what POM stands for.  Philadelphia's Own Magic?   I worked all night and I'm brainfried.  Nothing better, or even funny, comes to mind.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 08:46:48 am »
I really liked the story as well and would love to see more of the characters some day....

lacrima

• Beast Lord
  • IQ may vary
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:18 pm »
I liked the story a lot, but couldn't shake the feeling that I've read it before. Not just the beginning, but the whole thing. Or something very, very similar plot-wise.

I liked that we get to see Saiman's cousin, and Siroun's assessment of him. To read more about those two would be awesome...
Master of Procrastination
"No, I'm ranting for fun, because I'm a disagreeable bitch!"

kstrick

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 10:04:10 pm »
Of course I loved the story, but I felt like it was too short. Too much goodness in a small package, needs to be bigger. Lots of questions left over. I hope/wish we could see more of Adam and Siroun. Maybe they could visit Atlanta in a future Kate book??

Also, I would love to read more about Saiman and his family. Any other cousins running around?

kstrick

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:23 am »
Oh, anybody else think that the assassin/protector Siroun fought near the end was a family member of Naeemah's? :)

btsinmd

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 05:24:55 pm »
Oh, anybody else think that the assassin/protector Siroun fought near the end was a family member of Naeemah's?

Definitely!!!

Kitara

• Beast Lord
  • Whatever, Your Furriness.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 05:50:22 pm »
I thought Naeemah's family hunted assassins. They weren't assassins or bodyguards.  ??? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Phantom Poodle Art By Ana