Author Topic: Kate's world beyond book 7  (Read 10517 times)

kitkat9000

• Free Person of the Code
Kate's world beyond book 7
« on: May 18, 2012, 07:49:48 pm »
Not sure where to post this and I hope my doing so doesn't cause Ilona's head to explode. This is just a question and I don't wish to fuel any insanity but as I have no one to discuss this with, you all are my (captive) audience.

I read something yesterday that got me to thinking about Kate. On a blog post Lisa Shearin said that she's taking a break from Raine's world after book six comes out May 29th. This is the final book for the Saghred story line and she's pursuing other projects at this time. She said that she love's Raine's world and will come back to it at a later date.

Does anyone think Ilona will do that with the completion of Kate 7? She and Gordon have created a fairly unique world populated with such great characters that I would love to see it continued. Not necessarily in succession, nor even in book form, but perhaps something new now and again (short stories) or every few years (book). Julie & Ascanio have to grow up and there's the question of Derek becoming Alpha. With whom will he mate? I want to know more about George. What about Doolittle? How about Aunt B? She mentioned stepping down and leaving the Bouda clan in the very capable hands of a Beastkin if Andrea mated Raphael. I don't think Gunmetal Magic is going to answer that as I don't see her retiring now.  What about the Russian witches and volhvs? They're too funny to pass up and well worth reading just for the family dynamic. What happens next? Does the one really turn out to be a serial killer and does he manage to kill his Aunt's duck-bunny-kitten familiar? There's just so much more I would love to read about that I don't believe can be covered in 4 books (Kate 6 & 7, Gunmetal Magic and one more set between 6 & 7).

So, do you think it's possible or after seven do you think they'll be done? They're talented writers and will probably (hopefully) cover most of this in four books but I'm left wondering how they'll get it all to fit. And also worrying, if only partly for my sanity. I almost wish they didn't write so well so I could read them and be done with it like so many other authors' works.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
Re: Kate's world beyond book 7
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:21:01 am »
Ilona once said that it always also depends on the interest of the audience and the sales. Because they only get a contract for more books, if sales are good.
In any case, I'm a firm believer in stopping, when it's best.

I can't speak for Ilona of course, but I think that she and Gordon will know when to stop, no matter if they could
get contracted for more books. If they feel the stories they could tell about Kate's world are told, I think they most likely will stop. And I think that's good, because I know a few series that went downhill, because the author continued writing after a certain point....

I'd rather have a series stop after 7 books (and various spin-off stories/books as we know ;) ) and have it stop with a book I loved, than have it end at 10 books with a book I thought was only meh.

You know what I mean?

kitkat9000

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:40:35 am »
I have a hard time believing that at this stage they are lacking sales/support as they seem to have a fairly rabid well-invested fan base. Nor do I believe they would continue beyond what they feel should be written. They're too conscientious to do so.

And yes, I know exactly what you mean and honestly couldn't agree more.

That said however, there is still so much more to cover and as their recent polls suggest, people want to know what happens to many of the secondary characters. Personally, I feel that the short story format would provide the best platform for this as it's structure would allow them the most leeway and not require the same rate of conflict as a novel. How about a book of short stories? It could span a number of years and tie up any number of loose ends. Especially if it ended with a glimpse of Kate and Curran and company later on, say maybe 10-15 years later- what would we see? I can imagine anything for myself, even write my own sorry fanfic, but I would prefer Ilona's and Gordon's stories as theirs are not only better (read amazing) but because the characters were theirs and they should write the final chapters. Just MHO.

Yala

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:36:09 pm »
Maybe they'll also take a break for a while and yome back to it later with a spin-off series. We'll just have to wait and see (but I also want to have at least short glimpses into the lives of Kate and the others after the last book).

dsolo

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:42 am »
I'm with KitKat on this.  There are many stories left to be told in this world.  Kate and Curran's story will have to resolve with a confrontation of some kind with Roland, but there are still stories to be told.  There are so many opportunites for companion series, or even stand alone novels (like Gunmetal Magic).  There's Julie and Derek, and now, with Retribution Clause, they can tell stories about POM insurance and the team of Adam and Siroun.  At the very least, some short stories and novellas, although I'm sure those don't pay as well.  As long as the series doesn't become repetitious or go off on a wild tangent, it can stay entertaining.  The Wheel of Time series has lasted over 20 years, and is finally ending after 12 books (RIP Robert Jordan), and was originally designed as a trilogy.  Anne McCaffrey kept writing about Pern and dragons for years, while still writing other series.  Much of it depends on how diverse the world is, so that different stories can be told.  Ilona and Gordon have created enough interesting secondary characters, that many of them could star in their own book.  What happens with the dragon Dali released? Since he's a shapeshifter, is he supposed to report to Curran, or is it only mammal shifters?   How are things going with Jim and Dali?  There is enough material for their own anthologies with stories about different characters, plus a Post Shift Compendium/Encyclopedia/Concordance or whatever you want to call it.  The biggest problem they probably have is time and energy.

UFJunkie

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 03:33:51 pm »
I'm completely hooked on this series and the looming potential end with book 7 has been bumming me out a little. That said, most series out there go on too long these days and lose all their appeal. (Yes, I'm talking about you LKH and CH!) Though right now I can't image not picking up my ipad on the day the next Kate Daniels book comes out, I've been burned by enough great series to know that stopping at a good point might not be a bad idea.

If the alternative to leaving us wanting more is to sour our taste for the series (still looking at you LKH and CH!) so that we cannot even go back and re-read the earlier books without that bitter taste, then maybe stopping at Book 7 is the right thing for them to do. Somehow, I think Ilona has enough creativity to bring us a new and different adventure that we'll love just as much as this one.

Lorilei

• Lyc-V Infected
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:10:02 pm »
I, too, believe there are more stories to be told with the secondary characters at least.  dsolo makes a great point in the dragon that Dali releases, and as far as main characters,  I would love to know more about Curran and his familial background.  A little nugget in Magic Bleeds pointed out by him "my family is different...older."  And again by Erra when she stated that "the First were there first.".  "He(Curran) is stronger, more stable and the pack flock to him."  That is very telling that there is much more to Curran than meets the eye.  I would love to know more about him.  Also, will Kate be "long-lived" like her father and Erra and of course the Pack?  I think so and I hope that the good authors will reveal these wonderful secrets.  :)

Chelle

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:35:55 pm »
There are other areas to be explored.  Maybe a future setting where Kate and Curran have some little mini-Currans? (not sure if the world deserves mini-Kates.  she's scary.)

I would still like to see the time at the Shift.  How did people come to grips with what was happening and how did those who had previously believed themselves to be normal deal with budding abilities they had now knowledge of how to control?  They've mentioned there were about 3 months of riots - how did they get those calmed down? Did the authorities do it or did the people who had held onto the old traditions and ways step in to restore calm? 

There's so much they can do with this universe.
(found on the central message board on Mount Olympus) My fellow gods and goddesses - While we are all eager to return to Earth now that magic has returned, after observing the fate of those pantheons who have journeyed there since The Shift, I have decided that we will not be setting foot in the City of Atlanta or the State of Georgia in the country known as the USA at all.  Such action is not conducive to our continued health or longevity. - Zeus

Lorilei

• Lyc-V Infected
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:59 pm »
There are other areas to be explored.  Maybe a future setting where Kate and Curran have some little mini-Currans? (not sure if the world deserves mini-Kates.  she's scary.)

I would still like to see the time at the Shift.  How did people come to grips with what was happening and how did those who had previously believed themselves to be normal deal with budding abilities they had now knowledge of how to control?  They've mentioned there were about 3 months of riots - how did they get those calmed down? Did the authorities do it or did the people who had held onto the old traditions and ways step in to restore calm? 

There's so much they can do with this universe.

I know that Kate mentioned in Magic Slays, I believe, about that sleeping bomb the PAD made using the same ingredients Kate saw in that cylinder that was used to knock out Kamen's body guards.  She remarked that the bomb worked too well and many people never woke up so they outlawed it.  I would imagine that a combination of the bomb and tightening the security with the help of local officials and maybe the military took care of the rioters.

I agree with you in that I would love to know what happened right at the Shift.  Can you imagine zipping along your merry way and all of a sudden cars wreck, and planes fall from the sky?  Horrifying.

Chelle

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:42:59 pm »
That the authorities could get a sleep bomb like that would lead me to believe that they likely had help.  Even with dragons, trolls and the occasional god walking around, I can't see a world that had grown confident that science explains everything being able to change its thinking that quickly.  Humans have a tendency to be vain and too wrapped up in their own self-importance to admit they might be wrong.  I would think that those families such as Evdokia's would have had to step up and lend a hand.

Then there's the shapeshifters.  There's mention of established families, but in the Kateverse it doesn't seem that there could have been too many generations.  Established families that could still shift even when Tech reigned supreme?  If so, did those families have to lay a smackdown on the newbies who were probably freaking out?  With all the upheaval and stress, the incidents of loupism had to be high.

(found on the central message board on Mount Olympus) My fellow gods and goddesses - While we are all eager to return to Earth now that magic has returned, after observing the fate of those pantheons who have journeyed there since The Shift, I have decided that we will not be setting foot in the City of Atlanta or the State of Georgia in the country known as the USA at all.  Such action is not conducive to our continued health or longevity. - Zeus

dsolo

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:34:51 pm »
I'm not sure they could shift, so much as the potential was there.  Evdokia mentioned that the women from her village did small magics, since there was just a trickle of magic.  Dali also mentioned that her family passed on the traditions of magic, knowing that eventually it would come back.  So, it seems that the families with the strongest magic might have had some access to the small amounts available throughout the generations.  In the short story in Hex Appeal, Saiman's cousin (whose name I'm blanking on right now) mentions how disorienting it was for many people to discover that they had some magical ability.  He even says that if tech hadn't fallen, they would have lived normal lives, never knowing their potential.  Mozart would never have become a musical prodigy if he had never been exposed to any musical instruments. 

kitkat9000

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:09 pm »
All your continued speculation leads me back to this thought: short stories for ereaders (pricing dependent upon length) or a deadtree book of short stories in chronological order. This would allow continued glimpses into Kate's world while tidying up loose ends.

The stories don't have to be that long, 30-45 pages each could cover a great deal. E.g. revisiting Jennifer when her daughter is a teen, perhaps. Checking in on Julie when she's in her early-to-mid 20's would be a great time for her to hook up with her "mate"- will it be Derek or Ascanio? Or perhaps someone we've not yet met? Does Derek become Alpha? How does Ascanio turn out? How about Barabas or Jezebel? If Dali & Jim don't get their own book, do we see them later on? Will they have children? Do Kate & Curran? Andrea & Raphael?

I would love to revisit the Russian witches & vohlvs. With whom does Roman hook up? Does Rowena have a child of her own? Will Ghastek ever act human? Is he even human? Does Doolittle get to be with his ladyfriend? Do we see Rene again? Does her brother get better? What about that sword- how'd she get it, what does it do, has it any special powers? Do we ever get to see Saiman laid low by love? I can't even imagine the person, male or female, who hands him his head after they kick his butt. What about his cousin, Adam? And his partner Siroun? Will we learn more about Naeemah? Hell, how about Teddy Jo?

I agree with Chelle- I want stories from the Shift as well. The rise of the Pack and the People would also be interesting. Perhaps novella lengths of 75-100 pages could be used for more involved stories like these.

There is enough fodder here alone for a dozen short stories and novellas. This series is so rich with well written secondary characters that you can't help but want to know what happens to them. Theoretically, Ilona & Gordon could write additional stories for some time. Please notice that I did not mention book other than as a compendium. I've thought about this a great deal since my original post and now believe the series can be "ended" with the nine novels as long as there are continuing short stories to flesh out the rest. I'm not sure if an epilogue at the end would do the series justice. Or make me happy- I want more detail than that would cover.

I will be seriously miffed if I don't get answers to some of these questions, though would prefer that more, not less of them be answered. To those of you who are afriad that continuation will lead to stagnation, I say fear not. Ilona & Gordon write so well and are so very conscientious in their efforts I don't believe they would continue just because it would sell. They care too much about the quality of their work.