Author Topic: Vane, Milla  (Read 17046 times)

Bat

• Free Person of the Code
Vane, Milla
« on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:06 am »
i recently finished three of the Stories in "Night Shift", but couldn't get through Milla Vane's "The Beast of Blackmoor".  Are all of Vane's writings of similar style and subject matter?  I just got tired of being confronted with sexual abuse, rape, sodomy and bondage with each new change of scene. 

If her writing focuses on this regularly, then this would be an author I will avoid

"Eaten any adventurers lately?"
"Sure, just had one this morning. Look, I still got his femur stuck in my teeth.  Is that upsetting to you?"

jewelwing

Re: Vane, Milla
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:59:37 am »
Per Ilona's blog on author branding and pseudonyms, Milla Vane is a pseudonym for Meljean Brooks. I have not read anything else by her, but apparently she normally writes steampunk.

While I ended up skimming most of the sex scenes in her novella to get to the story, the first one was pretty important for character development and worldbuilding. Like you, I can live without a lot of the stuff that goes on in those scenes, not to mention the language. That said, she did a very good job of establishing that the heroine's social culture and personal perspective allowed her to view the sex as her choice, and therefore as consensual rather than rape. However unrealistic this would be in our own culture, the story supported it well. Even some of the plants and animals of her world were distinctly different from our own, and going into the sex scene the heroine's inner dialogue mentions that her culture enjoys sex, and lots of it. So I found Milla Vane's writing much less offensive than some of the PR set in our own or historical cultures, which uses "forcible seduction" as a happy ending, or even as a means to one.

However, if the sheer amount of sex in the novella is any indication of the amount in her regular books, other stories are calling me.

AlwaysV

• Cub
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »
I only finished Magic Steals & Secrets at Midnight  <32
Most Awesome! Most Gorgeous!  <32

now I don't feel like reading either
Lisa Shearin's Lucky Charms
or  Milla Vane's The Beast of Blackmoor . . .

Bat

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:46:42 pm »
I enjoyed Lisa Shearin's contribution... Though I was already familiar with her writing and own some of her stuff

"Sure, just had one this morning. Look, I still got his femur stuck in my teeth.  Is that upsetting to you?"

AlwaysV

• Cub
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:37:46 pm »
I enjoyed Lisa Shearin's contribution... Though I was already familiar with her writing and own some of her stuff

;) I'll try her novella then.
 thankU

jewelwing

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 02:18:09 pm »
Yes, I thought Lisa Shearin's was fun. Only got a dozen pages into Nalini Singh's due to too much romance and not enough story for me, but that is no doubt my loss. I'm a little ADHD that way.

Bat

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:30 pm »
Only got a dozen pages into Nalini Singh's due to too much romance and not enough story for me, but that is no doubt my loss. I'm a little ADHD that way.

Hmm I finished it, but I felt it was a little all sweetmness and light myself.  I know that sounds strange, considering the who death punishment and haunt let thing.  It sort of reminds me of Debora Geary's writing.  Everything is always just a little too perfect with super nat cuddliness and togetherness.  I'd have to go into an analytic dissertation to discuss why I just fel dissatisfied with those writings while the Ilona Andrews romantic encounters don't hit me the same way.  Maybe because the romances there are part of the story, but not the whole point of the books

... Of course now I've gotten beyond Milla Vane in here.  Ah well

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 01:15:50 pm »
Per Ilona's blog on author branding and pseudonyms, Milla Vane is a pseudonym for Meljean Brooks. I have not read anything else by her, but apparently she normally writes steampunk.

Generally, Meljean writes more sex scenes than for instance Ilona, but the style of her pseudonym Milla Vane is stil VERY different. It's a lot rougher and there's way more sex and - to me - in rather
offputting contexts. Do I want to read about oral sex performed in front of a group of slobbering idiots? No. Definitely not my cup of tea, but there are many different tastes out there and
I'm sure there are people who want to read exactly this. I don't. I read the whole short story, but to me, Milla Vane is not going to make an appearance on my TBR-list.

jewelwing

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 06:57:53 pm »
Nor on mine, under either name. Sex scenes that advance the story are fine, but Ilona has about the right amount for my taste. Much more and they start to get on my nerves.

Bat

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:48 pm »
I keep trying to remember if I've read anything by Meljean Brooks.  I know I've per used the backs of some of her stuff at least, but I think I wasn't inspired to pick anything up and actually read it.

I like how Ilona and Gordon deal with the sex scenes.  I don!t buy these books for the romance  but for the whole story... The relationships are a natural progression of the storyline and I don't want a play by play.  I am not voyeuristic by nature, so overly descriptive scenes put me off.  There are exceptions of course.  I mean like it hasn't stopped me reading (Darynda Jones "grim Reaper" series for example, the rest of the story line works with it and I enjoy her writing enough that I can skim)