Author Topic: LACKEY, Mercedes  (Read 9387 times)

Nellie

• Free Person of the Code
  • Insanity is relative
    • Winter's Love
LACKEY, Mercedes
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:25:03 am »
The books I had started with for her were the Valdimar series.  I'm still missing some books but I have the majority of them.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:16:43 am by Ying »

Artangel

• Book addicts R us
LACKEY, Mercedes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:31:24 am »
I really enjoy her Valdemar books and The Obsidian Trilogy.

The others are ok, but not really my favorites.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:23:59 am by mjt_3 »
  Curran's Kitten :P

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
Re: LACKEY, Mercedes
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:33:03 am »
Some of her books are GREAT, others leave me a little meh.
Read and loved the Obisidian-trilogy!

Artangel

• Book addicts R us
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:49:33 am »
Have you read The Enduring Flame series? It is set 1000 years after the Obsidian Trilogy.
I enjoy it but find that it is very simple compared to The Obsidian Trilogy, almost like it was written for children.
  Curran's Kitten :P

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:03:42 am »
Have you read The Enduring Flame series? It is set 1000 years after the Obsidian Trilogy.
I enjoy it but find that it is very simple compared to The Obsidian Trilogy, almost like it was written for children.

not yet. I have it on my list of books I want to buy :)
I quite enjoyed one of her fairytale-retellings. hmmmm what was it called. phoenix and ashes?  or something like that? (it's a different take on cinderella) I really liked that one, both lead characters were troubled in their own way, the guy was not the standard-prince charming you usually have in cinderella-adaptions.

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 01:21:12 pm »
I have Phoenix and Ashes on my bookshelf.  It looked interesting in the used bookstore, so I picked it up, then I got it home and realized it said it was book 3 of a series.  So I never read it.  If it can be read alone I'll have to put it on my TBR pile.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 03:52:14 pm »
I have Phoenix and Ashes on my bookshelf.  It looked interesting in the used bookstore, so I picked it up, then I got it home and realized it said it was book 3 of a series.  So I never read it.  If it can be read alone I'll have to put it on my TBR pile.

you can totally read it alone. it is not really part 3 of a series, but her third adaption of a popular fairytale.

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:01:20 pm »
Gotcha.  So less of a series and more of a story collection.  It is now on my TBR pile.  :)

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 01:49:44 am »
Finally finished Phoenix and Ashes.  Life kept interupting.  :#)

I'm not really into historical fiction in general, and World War I is particularly dull for me.  But once I made it to the second chapter, when the magic starts happening with a BANG! I was able to pay attention.  I found the book a bit preachy at times, too.  If you envision gender issues and civil rights as a delicate piece of filigree, and then envision Mercedes Lackey eyeing it and hefting a hammer (we know the hero is heroic because he's the only one in the whole village who thinks girls should go to college too!)...well, just ignore the dents and move on.  It's no worse in this book than in her others.

This is probably my second favorite retelling of Cinderella (after Ella Enchanted, of course).  She keeps enough of the original for it to be easily recognizable, and yet adds several new plots that blend seamlessly with the primary and with each other.  I particularly loved how a plot element from the first part of the book was reused in the maskerade scene and made perfect sense.  Prince Charming is a real person, with real fears and desires, and the scenes set in his POV make this more than a rags to riches fantasy, they make this a romance.  I probably won't reread this for a while, but it was a good book and worth the time invested.

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 01:07:35 pm »
I think I have stumbled onto one of her Elemental Masters books. It is called The Serpants Shadow & so far I am thoroughly enjoying it :) Fictionwise appears to be adding her works as they become digitalized. jumP
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 02:55:18 pm by kikucat »

Maurianne

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 07:53:47 pm »
They just added a bunch of her books on Audible.

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 09:16:50 pm »
Have Y'all read her 5oo Kingdom books ? Once I found The Fairy Godmother I tore thru the others pretty quick :) I didn't like The Snow Queen as much as the earlier books but it was still a good read.

Maurianne

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 09:32:44 pm »
I've read Fairy Godmother, and really liked it. I didn't know there were others like that one. Awesome!

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 09:38:22 pm »
Yes, yes there are more ! There is One Good Knight, Fortune's Fool *my fav* & the most recent is The Snow Queen :) I have listed them in the order to be read, although each book can be fully enjoyed by itself. Actually, it wasn't The Fairy Godmother I read first. It was Fortune's Fool. That got me hooked into checking out the other's in the series ;)

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 07:11:29 am »
Oh how cool ! I just looked on Eric Flint's web page & found out that he has corroberated on another Heirs of Byzantium book with Mercedes Lackey & David Freer. It is called Much Fall of Blood & they have just stated snippeting it. You will have to scroll thru the snippets to start from the beginning of the book but it is woirth it :) I love that the snippets are pretty much an ARC of the book.
Here is a link to Eric's web page if Y'all are interested.
http://www.ericflint.net/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:12:43 am by kikucat »