Author Topic: CHANCE, Karen  (Read 175679 times)

fantasyfiend

• Cub
Re: CHANCE, Karen
« Reply #345 on: November 02, 2013, 12:52:00 am »
With the mind reading, I'm not sure if the surface thoughts that Mercia seems to catch sometimes is even deliberate; it might just be a symptom of the 'bond' they have or something. Mercia might understand how that works and what is happening etc far better than Cassie does, but I don't think it means he's deliberately spying on her thoughts. If he was, why wouldn't he go deeper? (And we know he's not going deeper because he doesn't know about Pritkin.)

True, the mind reading is a result of the bond, but he could have told Cassie about this and he didn't. In my book that means he spying because she didn't know it was going on. This was on Karen Chance's blog from October 5th:

"This is edging up onto spoiler territory, but I think it’s been established pretty well that Mircea can read most people. It’s also been hinted at that he can pick up surface thoughts from Cassie, sort of the way Billy Joe does when he ghosts through a human. But the books make it clear that either Mircea can’t or won’t go further than that where Cassie is concerned. If he could, he wouldn’t need to have Marlowe trying to find out about Pritkin; he’d already know."

I could be wrong, but I think he'd go deeper to find out about Pritkin if he could. He knows that if anyone knows Pritkin's secret that it's Cassie. Anyone have any ideas what Mircea will do when he finds out who Pritkin really is? He'll use it to his advantage one way or another. I think he might tell Cassie he'll keep the secret if she stays away from him.

Also Cassie never wanted to be bonded to Mircea. He did that to her without asking and apparently she's stuck with that bond for life. Considering this is UF, there is probably some spell that can remove it, and Cassie doesn't know about it yet.

With the handcuffing/manipluation thing, I really want to see Cassie give Mercia some sort of payback for that now.
Because wouldn't Mercia's reaction to that sort of payback be quite telling about whether he really does see it as not a big deal/ just a game/ something he knew she could get out of etc, or whether he's actually still trying to be manipulative/controlling etc?

I don't really know what she could do for payback. I really hope she doesn't lower herself to his level. It would be sad to see them in a relationship where they're playing games with each other. No matter what he would be mad that she would try to control him. He didn't want to complete the geis because he knew Cassie was the more powerful one. He was afraid she'd control him in some way.

Itsy-Cat

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #346 on: November 02, 2013, 09:59:11 am »
I guess we can't know for sure, (I suppose it's possible that Cassie's pythia position or genetics (due to who her mother was) blocks Mercia from going further into her mind), but I think it's probably more that he won't go deeper, rather than can't. Because, as I said earlier, he did say something somewhere about never entering a Lady's mind without permission. (I think it was in the 3rd book, after Cassie took him back in time? Don't have the books to hand atm though.)

With the bond thing being done without Mercia asking Cassie beforehand, remember that he really wasn't in his right mind at the time, not thinking clearly etc, so I think he can be forgiven for that.

With the payback thing, I agree that Mercia would hate it if Cassie tried to control him, but what I was trying to get at is that, well, everyone seems to be assuming that Mercia handcuffing Cassie was some kind of attempt at control, despite him saying and acting like it wasn't a big deal and he knew it wouldn't control her. I'm not really sure either way.
But if Mercia really did see it as not-a-big-deal, presumably he wouldn't be that upset about any sort of payback, because that wouldn't be a big deal either? He might be kind of annoyed at the inconvienience at first but think it was funny later or something?
But if he was really trying to use it to control her, presumably he'd be really angry/upset about her trying something like that with him?

I mean, look at what happened with Dory and Louis-Cesare in Death's Mistress, with them stealing Ray from each other, payback etc, with neither of them really being that annoyed about it at the end if the day (after getting over the initial annoyed reaction I mean.)

As for what Cassie could do as payback, presumably the easiest thing would be to shift him to somewhere that would be inconvienient/take a while to get out of/away from, then swan off to a meeting or something herself and catch up with him (or let him catch up with her) later?

I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if Mercia and Rosier ever met (e.g. in an interspecies rulers' meeting between the demon lords and the senate or something?) Although I suppose Rosier might be deliberately avoiding such a meeting because of not wanting to risk/expose his son or something?

And I really want to know what Dory's senate position will be.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:31:36 am by Itsy-Cat »

Frodopi

• Cub
« Reply #347 on: November 04, 2013, 02:40:03 pm »
Rofl.  Well, if you think about how Mircea dealt with Dory, you might understand how he handles Cassie.  I think that from his perspective things changed in Hunt the Moon, when they helped her Mom escape the Spartoi.  :)

He's not saying she's lucky anymore and I think he's dealing with her not being a child anymore.  Human and flesh and vulnerable, but now he knows she has the ability to survive alot of damage.  And I think after that fight scene, now he knows she has some skills and alot of practice surviving.  Pritkin's doing I am sure.  :) 

But Mircea still worries about her, but I think he's gaining an appreciation she's more his equal now.  Powerwise, and maybe even skill wise.  I think we will see more of that in the next 1/2 of the book (due out when ever... I am hoping it will be March 2014 and NOT July 2014, LOL.  But no word yet!)  It may cover rescuing Pritkin, which may result in Cassie coming clean or Mircea figuring out WHO Pritkin actually is.  What Mircea would do with that information, I don't know.  After all, being the Merlin puts a huge bull's eye on your back, and given Cassie already has one, you do't want the two of them together...

Of course, if you want to break them up, you might point this out to Cassie AFTER everyone recognizes Pritkin as Merlin...forbidne love so to speak..

I don't think he's going to try the handcuff trick again, or be quite as patronizing with her in any case.  After all, she surprised the hell out of him, by getting into his head - reading his fantasy, and giving it to him the way he wanted.  But I'm not sure in that scene WHEN he became away that she was actually IN his head?  As opposed to him having a great solo fantasy...however, that had to level his confidence in his superiority, especially since Lawarence was messing with his head as well...

Also since she and Pritkin exchanged energies - and we know that is possible able to allow both parties to pick up new skills when the exchange is made, I'm wondering if she has another skill or two she didn't know she had from the exchange?  I don't know what skills she might get from Pritkin - but she is magical as it was pointed out - when Pritkin was in her body, he could still do magic using her magic - so her mage skills were not insignificant...hum...hum... all she needs is a little training.  Maybe her new skill will be sensing demons, while Pritkins will be related to clairvoyance?  (You don't have to be a Pythia to be a seer after all...).  Actually, maybe they can ping pong the Pythia's power back n forth... that would be sort of coolll...and confuse the hell out of everyone...

fantasyfiend

• Cub
« Reply #348 on: November 04, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »
I think Mircea will handle her differently now. By now he's got to know he can't control her even if he wants to. Cassie can actually strip him of all his power and make him human. He can't take away her power. They're not equals. She is more powerful than he is; she just doesn't have enough skill yet. She's pythia that's part goddess. That outranks Mircea's power. Mircea excels at politics which is something Cassie needs to learn since she's the person all supernatural groups go to.

Cassie wouldn't avoid being with Pritkin even if he's Merlin. She'll do as she pleases. People would go after the two of them, but they're a formidable team. Being with Mircea might make her somewhat less of a target than being with Merlin, but she'll always be a target no matter what. Some people probably want to kill because of her close ties with the vampires. Not too many people seem happy about that. So it's not like being with Mircea makes her safe.

My guess is Reap the Wind will come out in October since the last book did. Most authors or publishing companies make people wait a year at least. It would be great if it came out sooner but I'm not counting on it. Wouldn't RtW have to be about Cassie and Rosier saving Pritkin? Time is of the essence for Pritkin and that's what they left to do at the end of TtS. I think the first half of the book will focus on that. Then the story will move onto some stuff with Mircea.

Itsy-Cat

« Reply #349 on: November 04, 2013, 05:29:53 pm »
Yeah, I think Reap the Wind must have the Cassie+Rosier rescuing Pritkin in it. Even if Cassie was inclined to wait (which she's not), Rosier wouldn't be willing to sit around for ages waiting for Cassie to get round to it.

With the Cassie+Pritkin power exchange, I wonder if Rosier would be happier about Pritkin hanging around the pythia if it turned out he could gain some of her abilities? Or would he still hate it because he considered Cassie to be too much of a danger to Pritkin's life?

With Mercia and people messing around in his head, I don't think Lawrence was actually messing around in Mercia's head. Didn't he say something about almost getting trapped the one time he tried that? And when speaking to Dory, she interpreted it as Lawrence figuring he couldn't take Mercia in a mental combat fight?
So presumably once Lawrence had tested Mercia's mental defences/abilities and realised he couldn't take him, he would have avoided messing around in Mercia's head. He messed with Dory, and he blocked Radu's mental communication, but he wasn't messing with Mercia's head.

And the time when Lawrence attacked him, remember that was in Dory's head, and presumably an rare/unprecedented opportunity for Lawrence to attack him without Mercia being able to defend himself, at least not while holding the connection open.
I wonder if Mercia could have decided to drop the connection and fight back instead? But I guess, in that case, after taking out Lawrence, he and Dory would have been stuck, unless they could get someone like Ming-de to help them out? And they probably wouldn't want to be in that situation.

I wonder if Mercia's going to teach Dory more about mentalist abilities and how to use them etc, or if Dory will have to figure it out on her own? Or if she'll just rely on what Dorina has found out and go from there?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:32:34 pm by Itsy-Cat »

Feral Speculation

« Reply #350 on: November 06, 2013, 06:05:57 pm »

With the payback thing, I agree that Mercia would hate it if Cassie tried to control him, but what I was trying to get at is that, well, everyone seems to be assuming that Mercia handcuffing Cassie was some kind of attempt at control, despite him saying and acting like it wasn't a big deal and he knew it wouldn't control her. I'm not really sure either way.
But if Mercia really did see it as not-a-big-deal, presumably he wouldn't be that upset about any sort of payback, because that wouldn't be a big deal either? He might be kind of annoyed at the inconvenience at first but think it was funny later or something?
As for what Cassie could do as payback, presumably the easiest thing would be to shift him to somewhere that would be inconvenient/take a while to get out of/away from, then swan off to a meeting or something herself and catch up with him (or let him catch up with her) later?

That would make me happy. If she thought it was funny to turn the tables and he laughed about it after she did something like that to him, then I'd feel better about it.

I know he'll treat her differently as her powers grow. It will be good if he teaches her mind power while Pritkin trains her in what he can. I don't think Cassie is ready to let either one out of her life.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #351 on: November 11, 2013, 05:09:37 am »
Sorry. I kind of assumed everyone knew they were quotes--but they are long. I'll add  more in the way of crediting the book.

thankU  *waves*

Feral Speculation

« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2013, 03:04:55 pm »
@ CheeseBK You are most welcome. Do you know every time I see your name I want a cheeseburger? I feel like an LOL cat.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #353 on: November 13, 2013, 07:34:30 am »
@ CheeseBK You are most welcome. Do you know every time I see your name I want a cheeseburger? I feel like an LOL cat.

:) well, as long as you associate my name with something yummy, no problem here :D

Itsy-Cat

« Reply #354 on: March 26, 2014, 06:44:54 am »
So, has anyone else read Masks yet?