Ilona Andrews
News: THE KATE DANIELS WIKI | Book Releases Calendar
Forum email address (Mods): forum.ilonaandrews@gmail.com
Homepage: www.ilona-andrews.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 24, 2014, 06:34:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's on your Keeper/Comfort Shelves?  (Read 9289 times)
BlueMtn
Beast Lord

Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them.

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 06:15:29 pm »

Lots of great keepers - thanks for sharing!   

Leesie
Kitten

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »

To keep or not to keep, that is the question!  I have run out of space.  Unless I start boxing books to keep them in the garage, no more will fit.  But I can't accept that.  My favorite authors keep writing and I keep finding new keepers.  What the heck does one do?!  I joined paperbackswap, which is awesome by the way, but for every book I send out, I get a credit for a new one.  Doesn't really help the bookshelf space.
My problem is compounded because I enjoy finding books in all different places and I buy more than I can read.  My TBR pile is embarrassing.  But back to the main point, how do you know, even after you enjoyed a book and would recommend it to others, that you don't need to keep it?  Is it that you won't read it again?  I only started Ulysses, oh 10 years ago now and can't seem to get rid of the darn thing...Magic or Madness trilogy was cute, probably won't read again...but my neices might like it in 5 years...The madness goes on and on.
If anyone has any tips on learning how to let go, please chime in!  I would greatly appreciate it. 

I figured you guys were the group to turn to.  Sorry if I am slightly off topic... Huh?
BlueMtn
Beast Lord

Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them.

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 02:38:10 pm »

My keepers are books that I know I will reread, some are reread once a year, some every 5 years.  Other books are memories of a time of life I was at when I read it.  I still have some of my childhood books.   Some are simply part of a treasured collection from a favorite author.  Others may have been gifts from friends.   Etc...

Different pile, books I've read and went Meh, at the end.  I will never reread, and was sorry I read it - easily traded off.    I just immediately post them to PaperBackSwap and they are soon gone, and the credit goes toward a book I really want. 

Leesie
Kitten

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 02:41:34 pm »

So I should be looking at my books to see if they instill something in me besides couvetous glee?!   Grin  Thanks Blue
SylviaSybil
Beast Lord

Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30:10 pm »

I think about the emotions I feel for each book, too.  Some books thrill me, some make me warm and fuzzy, a lot of them have cracked spines from being read over and over again.  On the flip side, if I put a book down because it's just so dull, or throw it against the wall because it's infuriating me, then I instantly add it to Paper Back Swap or drop it off at the Take A Book, Leave A Book.  I don't keep books that don't make me happy.  There's no need to punish myself like that, reading is supposed to be fun.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.
Vinity
Global Moderator
Beast Lord

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2010, 05:58:28 pm »

I have boxes and boxes of books upstairs in the attic, even in the barn. I'm really not good at letting go. I have found ebooks are good for authors I'll likely only read once or twice. I keep planning to convert the wall in my son's wreck room. which currently has toy boxes stacked on shelves 8 feet high, into a wall'o books. Cathedral ceiling baby!! I have visions of a rolling latter to reach the peak!

Beyond this point, there be Dragons.
passionsong11
Kitten

"You think I should slap some man into him?"

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2010, 09:12:35 am »

Raine Benares ~ Lisa Shearin
 reading
Kate Daniels ~ Ilona Andrews reading lion
Merit ~ Chloe Neill
Persephone Alcmedi ~ Linda Robertson
and October Daye ~ Seanan McGuire reading

These are the ones I reread and reread and then...read again.

“Curran is more damaged than most. It’s not my place to tell you, but his protective drive is very strong. Not knowing if you’re safe drives him out of his skin.”
lacrima
Beast Lord

IQ may vary

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2010, 09:43:09 am »

Hmm, hard question.

Probably Hex by Rhiannon Lassiter
The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams
Everything by Ilona Andrews
Guildhunter series by Nalini Singh
Eragon books by Christopher Paolini

I have to expand my keeper shelves a bit since the last time I posted.

Alcatraz vs. series by Brandon Sanderson
Chicagoland series by Chloe Neill
Raine Benares series by Lisa Shearin
Elantra series by Michelle Sagara

Master of Procrastination
"No, I'm ranting for fun, because I'm a disagreeable bitch!"
Argantel
Beast Lord

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »

Leesie, I recommend moving. That's the point where you have to decide what you really want to keep.

For me, one of the frequently moving, it's not a lot:

Definite keepers: Ilona Andrews, Patrick Rothfuss; The Algonquin Cat (Comfort book from my childhood)

May be kept: Patricia Briggs

Books I would keep if I had not lent them to a friend: George R. R. Martin's Ice and Fire series

To be completely honest with you, in the far future when I have settled down, plenty of space and am rich I will buy tons of books and have my own library (room).
Foxen
Alpha

Highly Caffeinated

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 10:14:48 am »

To be completely honest with you, in the far future when I have settled down, plenty of space and am rich I will buy tons of books and have my own library (room).

Same here. I think a lot of us would love to have a personal library! 

If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket
Kitara
Beast Lord

Whatever, Your Furriness.

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 10:46:35 am »

Oh, boy. Here goes.

Ilona Andrews of course.
Black Jewels by Anne Bishop
Tamora Pierce
Guild Hunter and Psy-Changling series by Nalini Singh
Nora Roberts (am very glad for libraries as buying all of them would be terribly expensive)

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

Phantom Poodle Art By Ana
MinnChica
Global Moderator
Beast Lord

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 10:59:37 am »

Same here. I think a lot of us would love to have a personal library! 

DITTO!!

The opposite of War isn't peace, it's Creation.
www.thebookpushers.com
Leesie
Kitten

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 05:18:33 pm »

Leesie, I recommend moving. That's the point where you have to decide what you really want to keep.

Too true!  Books are HEAVY!!  Plus I have simply lost so many books from moving, some keepers too, oh well!  But we finally bought a house and I have been "nesting" and filling my shelves way too quickly!! 

Though after my post I gathered a bunch for donations and actually dropped them off, so I feel better.  Smiley   
SylviaSybil
Beast Lord

Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 10:42:58 pm »

It's never helped me. Embarrassed I've had to leave my boxes of books buried in storage for six months at a time, but no one was ever silly enough to suggest I leave some behind (to my face, at least).

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: