Author Topic: Magic Tests  (Read 8758 times)

Jenn

• Kitten
Magic Tests
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:09:42 am »
Hi

Do you know when or if Magic Tests will be released as a single?

Feral Speculation

• Free Person of the Code
Re: Magic Tests
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 05:25:56 pm »
I think you may need to find Apple for Creature. Your local library may have it (or let you  find it as an ebook or inter library loan). 

Vinity

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:07:01 pm »
I think with the stuff in anthologies there is a wait time till it can be released as a single ebook or as an extra in another book. I'm not sure what the wait for that one is?
Beyond this point, there be Dragons.

Jenn

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »
Thank you both...
I want to read Julie's story but I don't buy anthologies anymore so I wil wait...

Feral Speculation

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:10:23 pm »
I hate to say this with the author around, but...some of us go to book stores, order a coffee and read short stories of the authors we follow when see can't afford all the anthologies. I like anthologies because you can read them when you may be interrupted and because you can try out new authors with similar styles. They do get expensive if you are only trying to keep up with a series or two though.  Come to the dark side. Read in the store. Sometimes they give you free cookie samples with the coffee.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:05:50 pm by Feral Speculation »

Vinity

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 04:58:19 pm »
Some anthologies are really good and I've found some good author's I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise. But I agree, I only grab them when there are a least a few author's that I already like. Not Ilona, but I've also found some authors are really really not very good at short form, so I'm careful of that also.

For so long that length of story was discouraged by publishers, now with people being able to release short work as self pub it seems like publishers are responding with more traditionally published anthologies than they used to. I don't know if they see the buying public interest, or they just don't want their authors self publishing. It's such a great form to flush out a world. Other people's POVs and stuff that just never fit into a book.
Beyond this point, there be Dragons.

Aarya

• Cub
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »
Thank you both...
I want to read Julie's story but I don't buy anthologies anymore so I wil wait...

There is an blog post (http://www.ilona-andrews.com/readers/alphas-alphas-magic-rises-and-other-reader-questions) where Ilona said Magic Tests would be out of contract this September. That means she will probably release it separately as an ebook soon (it probably would not be more than $1.99 or $2.99). Hopefully that will be in your price range!  bOOk

btw, I never buy anthologies unless they are written by a favorite author (Ilona, Nalini, etc). Those are authors I can trust! There is one I'm really excited about next year that has Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, Meljean Brook, and Lisa Shearin. I've never read Lisa Shearin, but I  <32 the other three. Plus, Jim and Dali? Let's see how fast my mouse can click the "buy" option.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:13:41 pm by Aarya »
“I thought you were dead! And you’re here, sitting around the fire, eating and . . .”
“Listening to fairy tales.” Helpful, that’s me. “We’re about to have s’mores and you’re not invited.”

Aarya

• Cub
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:39:14 pm »
Jenn, Ilona just wrote today that she would be releasing the shorts soon (probably in September). http://www.ilona-andrews.com/business-of-writing/opinion-needed-ebook-shorts You don't have to buy An Apple For A Creature!  :)
“I thought you were dead! And you’re here, sitting around the fire, eating and . . .”
“Listening to fairy tales.” Helpful, that’s me. “We’re about to have s’mores and you’re not invited.”

iambutashadow

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 01:33:07 pm »
I hope we get some more shorts about Julie set in the school. I think that it would be a good shift from Kate being bad ass to Julie having to learn how to cope with having a 'lesser' power like seeing the colours of magic. It would also teach her to play nice with people the way that Kate and Curran don't have to (coz their bad ass).

I also think that
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I know that a lot of people are shipping Julie and Derek or Julie and Ascanio but I think that Yu has potential.

Just my opinion (holds hands up).

Feral Speculation

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 08:34:59 pm »
There is always potential for some YA books, but I would have mixed feelings on that. I would like to read about Julie, but writers can only have so many books done in any given year, and a YA series mean fewer "adult" books. I guess I'll be grateful for whatever we get.