Author Topic: CARRIGER, Gail  (Read 78584 times)

kstrick

• Kitten
CARRIGER, Gail
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:17:22 pm »
SOULESShttp://www.amazon.com/Soulless-Parasol-Protectorate-Gail-Carriger/dp/0316056634 is the first of her Parasol Protectorate series. Excellent steampunk romance! The first I've read of its kind so far, but it's quite unique in that it has vampires and werewolves. I can't wait for the second book http://www.amazon.com/Changeless-Parasol-Protectorate-Gail-Carriger/dp/0316074144/ref=pd_sim_b_3 CHANGELESS to come out. Definitely a must read! Even the covers are awesome!

The blurb:

Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking.

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
  • Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them.
Re: CARRIGER, Gail
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:22:30 pm »
Sounds interesting!  I'll put it on my wishlist for a future look-in-to/read.  Thanks for the heads up.   paW

mjt_3

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:27:11 am »
Looks good, I will have to check it out, thanks kstrick paW

edit: Oops, I've only just now realized kstrick is the one I should be thanking, sorry :-[ I'll just blame that on a late night post..or something :P

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:42:13 am by mjt_3 »
* Note to self: work more on sweet and less on psycho-killer*

lacrima

• Beast Lord
  • IQ may vary
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:43:12 am »
This sounds interesting, thanks for bringing her up!
Master of Procrastination
"No, I'm ranting for fun, because I'm a disagreeable bitch!"

pattepoilue

• Cub
  • is currently reading her life away!
    • One Book Away From Heaven
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:31:23 am »
i didn't have high hopes for this book when i bought it, and it turns out it's in my top read for 2009. SO funny. This is an original book. I can't wait for Changeless  :D

Oh Lord Maccon is just  DrOOl DrOOl DrOOl That's one hot shapeshifter  wolfTONGUE

mrsj

• Beast Lord
  • Fulltime dreamer..
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 11:36:42 am »
hehehe.. just got this book based on the reviews here!

Just gotta finish reading what I am reading to start with this!  ;)
I'm a tiger.. hear me ROAR!

kstrick

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 08:29:33 pm »
I thought it was a lot of fun. I think steampunk is gonna be the next urban fantasy genre- not huge but with a devoted following and great writers.

lvs2rd

• Cub
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:35:48 pm »
I loved this book!!! I completely agree about Lord Maccon- that is one fine shapeshifter! Alexia is such a funny heroine and also kick ass in her own way. Instead of a sword watch out for her parasol!!!

lacrima

• Beast Lord
  • IQ may vary
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 04:28:23 pm »
I really loved this book too! It's so funny! ;D

Especially the
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Paraphrasing here, but I just loved that comment. It´s so extremly arrogant, ridicilous and funny.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:24:07 am by lacrima »
Master of Procrastination
"No, I'm ranting for fun, because I'm a disagreeable bitch!"

mrsj

• Beast Lord
  • Fulltime dreamer..
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:26 am »
I am now an official Ms Tarabotti's fan!!

I love this series!  <32

Looking forward for Changeless!

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 04:45:05 pm »
Oh my goodness, I love this book so much.  It's hysterical, and had me in stitches more than once.  I kept trying to remember funny quotes from it, but they were always replaced by an even funnier one.  She just slides them in there.

I definitely agree: Lord Maccon is DrOOl.  The interactions between him and Alexia - *sigh* *fan self*.  And I love Alexia's attitude towards sex: just shocked and innocent enough for her to be a proper Victorian lady, but collected and practical enough for her to be her own efficient, brazen self.

The only problem I found with the book was how she slides from one POV to another between paragraphs.  I've read enough other books with this style -- Nalini Singh, frex -- that it doesn't bother me as much as it used to, and after the first few chapters I just rolled with it.  Still, until then it was rather off-putting.

Oh yes, and I'm buying Soulless this week and Changeless is on my To Buy list of upcoming releases. ;D
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

Akinna

• Cub
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:56:23 am »
<32 this book! And I'm sooo happy that the next one is out so soon! Like pattepoilue I bought it with low expectations, hadn't heard anything about it, but fell for it after only a few pages and now it's on my top 10 of 2009 books.

And I love Alexia's attitude towards sex: just shocked and innocent enough for her to be a proper Victorian lady, but collected and practical enough for her to be her own efficient, brazen self.

Agree, this is the perfect example:

So awesome <32
“Vampires. Always thinking with your teeth.”

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 03:22:48 am »
the book was just plain AWESOME!  I can't wait for the next installment. I love how sarcastic Alexia is. The exchanges between her and Lord Maccon are funny.

and with her family!

paraphrased:

stephey

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 11:00:57 am »
Just wanted to chime in.  Souless was one of the best books i read all year.  It was hysterical and very original!  I absolutely adored her gay vampire friend!

If your looking for something fun and different, i definately recommend it! (okay done with the book pushing!  weightS but, since I've found great new stuff to read on these threads, i thought i needed to do my part! haha)

mrsj

• Beast Lord
  • Fulltime dreamer..
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 11:28:33 am »
You guys should check out Gail's blog.. totally hilarious..

And I got to share this with you all..
http://gailcarriger.livejournal.com/124047.html

Alexia catch up with Jane True (Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler)
Very funny exchange!

Happy reading!  liongrin