Author Topic: Interesting links / posts for aspiring writers... or the BIG discussion!  (Read 8421 times)

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
Hello everyone...

... you might or you might not know about the BIG discussion that is still going on after a well-known publisher announced that you can now self-publish your books through them. there is a big argument, since many people think it is misleading for aspiring writers. they think they get published under a well-known brand name, when in fact, they don't get the sales channels / support of the brand name at all, although they spend money on their books being published.

also, writers that already got published through the publisher, might get mixed up with those self-published ones.... which is not benefitial for either party, in my opinion, but I don't want to add to the whole debate now, since I am not an expert on anything.

Just to give you the opportunity to read what some published authors think of this AND (thanks to Jeaniene Frost) get some links that might be interesting for aspiring writers that want to get published.

I'd also like to use this topic as a thank you base for all the already published authors who share the stories about how they had to struggle to even get published, like Ilona on her page or also Jeaniene and many others. Thank you, it is interesting, valuable info for aspiring writers AND a motivation for them, too.... since we read what awesome books you wrote... and still know that you didn't have an easy time when it came to getting published for the first time.

links:

shiloh walker: http://shilohwalker.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/heres-why-i-care/
jeaniene frost: http://frost-light.livejournal.com/113427.html
toni andrews: http://www.deadlinedames.com/?p=2130

if you find any other links that might be interesting for aspiring writers or tie into the debate, you can post them here.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:36:03 am by CheeseBK »

Sachiko

• Beta
Re: Interesting links / posts for aspiring writers... or the BIG discussion!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:12:17 pm »
TY for posting this Cheese!!! !!! thankU

*trots off to the linkies*
hungry hungry verbivore

Yala

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »
It's also up on Ilona's blog... If what I've read is true this is so shameless! How stupid did they think people are? Thumbs up for the writers' organisations!

LuigiGirlNZ

• Cub
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:02:47 am »
 thankU Cheese!
"Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?"

"I'm sorry. His Majesty tends to exaggerate things. I'm not a team player. I'm undisciplined and I have a problem with authority. Also, the Beast Lord can't hammer for ****."

Argantel

• Beast Lord
Here's some from my link collection. It's all freely available content. I found some interesting advice on the Romance Divas Forum but as you have to sign up for the forum, I am not sure if I can post it here. MODs?

Query Shark : Query Shark critiques fiction queries. You have to send a query to the shark for it to be considered. They don't critique everything but I gather you can learn a lot from the examples you can find there.

Unasked for advice to writers about money If you want to go full-time writer...

Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions By Patricia C. Wrede

Fantasy WorldBuilder Guide: 30 days to a world

Dropbox I use this to backup my writing. It basically creates a folder on your computer. You can also use it to share contents with others. The free service provides ample space (I'm at 3 GB right now), but you can purchase more if you want.

Ad Hoc's Builder Outline Index Outlines for humanoid and alien characters, cities, magic, societies, tourist's guide and worlds.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:00:45 pm by Argantel »

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
jeaniene frost put up an interesting post with many links regarding that topic

http://frost-light.livejournal.com/124177.html?view=2670609#t2670609