Author Topic: The MOVIES thread  (Read 219804 times)

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
The MOVIES thread
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:56:29 am »
Sooo, want to talk about your fav movies? Or is there a movie you saw recently and you want to recommend it or criticize it?

POST HERE! ;)

Inyx

• Kitten
  • "Dread is your desire for what you fear"
    • The Rabbit Hole
Re: The MOVIES thread
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 04:35:30 pm »
Hi all, wondered what peoples opinions on Public Enemies are?
It looks quite good in the trailers and it has Chrisitian Bale, which is a nice bonus. That aside though i've heard mixed things, and although i probs won't see it till it's on a dvd cus the cinema is a rip off i wondered what people thought of it?
"Looking for something?"  "No i'm dancing the can-can"
Ask a dumb question...

Ying

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 08:38:40 am »
I went to see "Hangover" a couple of weeks ago. It's hilarious. I love it (I was a bit sceptical before but was forced to go by bf and bff).

3girlmom

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:41:28 am »
I went to see "Hangover" a couple of weeks ago. It's hilarious. I love it (I was a bit sceptical before but was forced to go by bf and bff).

LMAO!!!! Didn't want to go see it on date night with hubby. But, he talked me into it. And I am still  laughing about it! ;D
Very fun movie. If you need a laugh, its the one for you.
" It's a reflex. Hear a bell, get food. See an undead, throw a knife. Same thing really."

3girlmom

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:50:15 pm »
Just curious,,, Went to see the latest Harry Potter film. What did you all think of it? For me it was better than the last. But didn't get or see the need to put a certain "burrow" scene in. The books are chalk full of great scenes! Left me shaking my head in wonder. ???
" It's a reflex. Hear a bell, get food. See an undead, throw a knife. Same thing really."

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:08:17 am »
Just curious,,, Went to see the latest Harry Potter film. What did you all think of it? For me it was better than the last. But didn't get or see the need to put a certain "burrow" scene in. The books are chalk full of great scenes! Left me shaking my head in wonder. ???

ack, I did not like it at all. I've already been ranting about it on other boards. I think it didn't do the book justice at all. okay, I know that you have to try to look at the books and movies separately, but why they invent new scenes while leaving out important other ones, is beyond me. plus, I think there was too much lovey-dovey and not enough background on who (and why !!!) was the halfblood prince.  :-\

Ying

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 04:53:01 am »
I haven't seen the new HP film yet. BF keeps pushing me to go but I have been putting it off. I love the books so much and feel that the movies (at least the previous ones) are too short and can't convey all the story in the time allocated. so many explantions have been left out and like cheese said, i look at the books and the movies separately. Saying that I'm still glad they've made the movies. They have done a great job but it's just impossible to fit everything in the books into films.

mjt_3

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:14:23 am »
I have read the whole series and HBP is one of my favs so I am hoping I'll like the movie. I know that you have to separate the books from the movies but when major plot threads are either added or taken away it drives me insane. One example is the Bourne movies. At the start of the second movie I'm thinking WTF?
* Note to self: work more on sweet and less on psycho-killer*

3girlmom

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:46:49 am »
Spoiler

ack, I did not like it at all. I've already been ranting about it on other boards. I think it didn't do the book justice at all. okay, I know that you have to try to look at the books and movies separately, but why they invent new scenes while leaving out important other ones, is beyond me. plus, I think there was too much lovey-dovey and not enough background on who (and why !!!) was the halfblood prince.  :-\

Oh thank goodness, I wasn't the only one thinking WTF!!!!!  I have tried really hard to separate book from film. But to make up scenes to add "drama" or whatever! Is not needed!! The HP series are one of my favs as well!!! Even my 10 yr old who read the series 2yrs ago, was a little dumb founded herself. But admits to liking it. And for those who have never read the books, but just watched the movies, will ask themselves who the F is HBP???? DONKEYS the lot of them!!!

Lexi

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:48:36 am »
I just watched HP on Monday and I have to say I liked it, but was a little disappointed and confused with some scenes. The one thing I really wish they would have added in was the funeral at the end of the book. I think that would have been an amazing scene. Maybe they'll put it at the beginning of the next movie. And I just thought of this, it seems like they wanted to lighten up this movie some since the 5th one was so dark and moody. Does anyone else feel like they did that?
Oh look, a shiny object!!

3girlmom

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:06:49 pm »
Spoiler

I just watched HP on Monday and I have to say I liked it, but was a little disappointed and confused with some scenes. The one thing I really wish they would have added in was the funeral at the end of the book. I think that would have been an amazing scene. Maybe they'll put it at the beginning of the next movie. And I just thought of this, it seems like they wanted to lighten up this movie some since the 5th one was so dark and moody. Does anyone else feel like they did that?

That very well could have been their thought process...I did enjoy parts of the movie. I agree with you on the last bit, I think the scene's up to and after with, what happen to Dumbledore could have been better. And if you didn't read the book you have no clue on the significances of Fawks  flying away ment. Those are the little things that I felt should have been in the movie.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 04:02:24 pm »
yesterday afternoon we went to see hangover with a friend of us. I didn't want to see it, it was one of those famous compromises you agree to when you're in a relationship. but now I don't mind that we went to see it. it wasn't bad, it's really funny. of course rather insane and total nonsense, but still very funny.

later the friend of us invited us home for dinner and we ended up watching yet another movie. hot fuzz. we already knew the actors from shaun of the dead, which is  pretty damn hilarious and insane.

hot fuzz is too. so crazy funny and disturbing in pieces.... just awesome.
I still quote parts of it to fiancè and we both giggle like loons. "yaaarp"

Nellie

• Insanity is relative
    • Winter's Love
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 10:24:29 am »
I saw Harry Potter this past weekend with mom because she wanted to see it and we spent the money to watch it at the Imax.  :)  That doesn't happen often.  I was a little disappointed in that they didn't have more on the HBP part but then I guess they wanted to be all dramatic when it was said to set it up for the big finish with Deathly Hallows.

skyblue

• Shapeshifters Rule!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 10:35:12 pm »
I went to se G.I. joe with a friend it actually wasn't that bad even though it was based on a male barbie doll.

my friend made me go, she loves that actor channing tatum

Curran is Purrfect!!!

fujijan

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 11:38:04 pm »
Spoiler

Oh thank goodness, I wasn't the only one thinking WTF!!!!!  I have tried really hard to separate book from film. But to make up scenes to add "drama" or whatever! Is not needed!! The HP series are one of my favs as well!!! Even my 10 yr old who read the series 2yrs ago, was a little dumb founded herself. But admits to liking it. And for those who have never read the books, but just watched the movies, will ask themselves who the F is HBP???? DONKEYS the lot of them!!!

I AGREE! I'm a crazy fan and it just irks me when they change things! Like the burrow scene you guys have mentioned. And why do they take out the rest of the memories? I thought the memories were a huge part of the story! Still, thankfully they didn't cancel the funeral but just push it back to Movie 7 Part 1. A small comfort i guess...

HBP seems to be just a bridge to the DH but still, (personally) I think HBP is better than the previous....  8)