Author Topic: BRITAIN, Kristen  (Read 46676 times)

Argantel

• Beast Lord
Re: BRITAIN, Kristen
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2015, 12:17:23 pm »
Apparently the newest installment, Mirror sight, is out since last year. I really loved Kirsten Britain's writing once but reading the reviews and summaries of the last two books just now made me realise I have to bury this series, it's completely gotten out of hand. There's no closure foreseeable, none whatsoever.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 03:45:21 am »
Apparently the newest installment, Mirror sight, is out since last year. I really loved Kirsten Britain's writing once but reading the reviews and summaries of the last two books just now made me realise I have to bury this series, it's completely gotten out of hand. There's no closure foreseeable, none whatsoever.

I read mirror sight. It was a huge shock to see where Karigan ended up, but I actually came to like where she was and what she did. However, I did not like that
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Bat

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »
HEA ?

"Eaten any adventurers lately?"
"Sure, just had one this morning. Look, I still got his femur stuck in my teeth.  Is that upsetting to you?"

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2015, 04:44:09 pm »

Argantel

• Beast Lord
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2015, 12:11:27 pm »
I'm just getting tired of series that stretch out way over their due by date.  X>:(

Cheese - didn't the whole book feel like an intensely long space filler?

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 08:32:25 am »
I'm just getting tired of series that stretch out way over their due by date.  X>:(

Cheese - didn't the whole book feel like an intensely long space filler?

no, I wouldn't put it quite like that. however it feels a little if kristen decided in the middle of writing her series that jumping on the steampunk-wagon sounded like fun.
it feels.... as if she abandoned the initial idea of her series for half of the book and just then decided to go back to it. it's not a space filler, IMO, but it reads as if she
wanted to try new things and karigan and the readers ended up as guniea pigs. it's not a bad book. It's just straying VERY far from the inital start of the series and
for me it get's very hard to read through all that pain she makes kari endure.

Bat

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 10:20:14 pm »
I just want closure... I want them to find a battle they can fight and win, or fight and lose though preferably win... and I just want Kerigan to find some measure of happiness and contentment, Geeze!

I will probably buy the book once it hits paperback, but yeah Britain needs to step back and decide where she is going with this series and stop taking hugely convoluted detours

"Sure, just had one this morning. Look, I still got his femur stuck in my teeth.  Is that upsetting to you?"

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2015, 07:50:26 am »
I just want Kerigan to find some measure of happiness and contentment, Geeze!

I'm totally with you on that. Kristen Britain's series started out very, very good. I reallly liked it, though I saw lots of parallels to Mercedes Lackey's Arrows of the Queen... so that made Green Rider not quite as unique
and fresh as people who never read Lackey's Valdemar books experienced it.
But it was solidly done, with good characters and some truly intriguing ideas. I enjoyed the first books very much. Then she did more and more POV-hopping, which is not exactly bad for me, but it makes it a bit harder to
go with the flow of the book. At least that is different with Mirror Sight. It's mostly from Karigan's POV.

But all in all it feels to me as if Ms. Britain is adding to much detours, as you said. And quite long and elaborate ones. And - can Kari get a breather, please?

Argantel

• Beast Lord
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:58 am »
Cheese - thanks for all the explanations and insights. I've not read Arrows of the Queen so have no grounds for comparison. Are they a finished series? I might try them instead ;)

I do find the idea of the messenger being more than just a message bearer interesting. Hopefully some other author will pick up on it in some fashion.

Bat

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2015, 02:31:50 am »
I can see some surface similarities between the green riders and Lackey's companion books.. but honestly I didn't feel like I was reading the same story type in a different world.  I preferred Brittain, maybe a little edgier, not so neatly wrapped up?  Not sure really.  I have read a few of the Lackey ones, but never really attached to it as strongly as to the Brittain series..... well aside form the recent Kerigan/reader abuse

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2015, 04:54:00 am »
Cheese - thanks for all the explanations and insights. I've not read Arrows of the Queen so have no grounds for comparison. Are they a finished series? I might try them instead ;)
I do find the idea of the messenger being more than just a message bearer interesting. Hopefully some other author will pick up on it in some fashion.

the valdemar-books are actually - in part - older works by mercedes lackey

I think the original books are Arrows of the Queen -  Arrow's Flight   - Arrow's Fall
She expanded on the books in Valdemar quite a bit, there are more than 30, I think. I've read approx. 15 of them, but the original three books are still my favourite. I also quite liked Take A Thief and By The Sword.
I did not enjoy the books with Elspeth (the Mage Winds books) as main character that much, I just couldn't quite relate to her. I did like the Collegium Chronicles, but they are set a very long time before Arrow's of the Queen.
There are - IMO - weaker and stronger books in this series. If you start with Arrows of the Queen, you can always go either way (to the books before or after) to expand.

If you want to know more, I'll copy this post into the Mercedes Lackey Thread, we can discuss it further there :) It doesn't seem fair to Kristen Britain to take over this thread with Lackey's books :D