Author Topic: ROTHFUSS, Patrick  (Read 33753 times)

Vinity

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
Re: ROTHFUSS, Patrick
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2011, 03:31:58 pm »
Ok, so maybe you already read this: The Wise Man's Fear made #1 on NYT  :) last Sunday.  I'm pretty happy about that, Rothfuss is an extraordinary writer. I'll cuddle up in bed now with his words. Book I mean.
jumP jumP I didn't see it. Good for him. He deserves it.
Beyond this point, there be Dragons.

smeech

• Kitten
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2011, 10:49:51 pm »
So I loved book 1, The Name of the Wind. Book 2, The Wise Man's Fear, was not as good.

There were many changes in Kvothe's circumstances that I felt came out of nowhere. And way too much time was spent lingering on certain topics, like what happened in the woods. (Trying not to be spoilery) I would have preferred that length be spent on something we actually want to learn about, like how Kvothe meets Bast.

Of course I will read Book 3 when it is released. But I felt like The Wise Man's Fear didn't reveal enough of Kvothe's past and the answers the readers are clamoring for.

Vinity

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2011, 11:21:46 pm »
I actually thought it was Wise Man's Fear was better.

Little note I noticed on Rothfuss blog, the first printing of the book has an error on the copywrite page. It says first printing but left off the numbers, as it's already gone into 4th printing he says he expects the Errored first Edition to be worth money. Apparently the first editions of Name of the Wind are being traded for big bucks. I'm goingt o breakdown and go into my terrible local bookstore. There incompetence may actually work in my favor here. They are really bad about Sci Fi and Fantasy being shown {short of Twilight shrines} 3 count them THREE times they have refused to put Dresdan Files on the NYT best sellers list at the front EVEN when it's there at number 1. I have reported it twice and they STILL didn't move it, even when they had copies. I'm hoping they buried the copies of Wise Man in the back with the other hidden Sci fi.     

Vinity

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2011, 05:07:47 pm »
Muahahaha! Not only did terrible, horrible, no good, very bad bookstore have 3 copies of the original first edition, they had been sent 2 copies SIGNED! They didn't even realize. They were buried on the back shelves with the new editions {all 4 of them for a NYT #1 best seller :( } on the NYT display. I got both of the signed editions and I'll hold on to one for maybe reselling if the $$ gets good enough.  jumP

Argantel

• Beast Lord
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 04:53:01 am »
Congrats Vinity!!! That must be a truly abysmal bookstore, but this one time it played out to your big advantage, hm? ;)
Because I was curious I did a quick google search. Currently first US hardcover edition signed books sell for between 30 and 50 US$: http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/patrick-rothfuss/signed/

Vinity

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 12:09:15 pm »
Congrats Vinity!!! That must be a truly abysmal bookstore, but this one time it played out to your big advantage, hm? ;)
Because I was curious I did a quick google search. Currently first US hardcover edition signed books sell for between 30 and 50 US$: http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/patrick-rothfuss/signed/
That is interesting.  I've had some other of my signed rarer books jump around in price quite a bit. I figure I can hold on to it for a long time. I have a couple of books I got in my teens that are very rare now. At the time I was just getting a book. LOL Funny what happens when you get old.

I'll have to start looking in used bookstores for a 1st ed 1st printing of Name of the Wind. It won't be signed unless I can catch up to Rothfuss but now that I know how to read the code for a true 1st printing I want a matching one. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:27:28 pm by Vinity »

Lekismet

• Beta
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2011, 10:08:16 am »
Good idea to look for 1st editions of this and other books.

Finally got the time to finish Wise Man's Fear. I like it, but I think I like The Name of the Wind better. But "seconds" of any type of trilogy are always put to high expectations.

I am going to have to re-read the last sections concerning Bast again. I would like more clarification, but obviously his behavior/actions could be taken to either extreme almost. He is Fae, so that has to be taken in consideration.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - A. Einstein

Really Listen - You may actually learn something.

Only by joy and sorrow does a person know anything about themselves and their destiny. They learn what to do and what to avoid.  Goethe ....  And some of us seem NOT to learn what to avoid — again and again... Lkt

Lekismet

• Beta
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »
Something I just came across that I did not remember/know about Kvothe's mother, but has peaked my interest in supposedly "little" things in NOTW & WMF now. I should have seen it earlier.  :-[

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I bet there are more little nuggets of information I did not realize at the time.  noDDing

Only by joy and sorrow does a person know anything about themselves and their destiny. They learn what to do and what to avoid.  Goethe ....  And some of us seem NOT to learn what to avoid — again and again... Lkt

CDraper

• Kitten
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2011, 07:52:29 pm »
Something I just came across that I did not remember/know about Kvothe's mother, but has peaked my interest in supposedly "little" things in NOTW & WMF now. I should have seen it earlier.  :-[

I bet there are more little nuggets of information I did not realize at the time.  noDDing

Where did you get that information??? Was it in the book and I just missed it?  That could cause a re-read!

Vinity

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:42 pm »

Where did you get that information??? Was it in the book and I just missed it?  That could cause a re-read!
I remembered his mother was highborn but I didn't catch that. Wow! Wonder if it will tie back in or if it was a throw-away connection?

CDraper

• Kitten
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2011, 11:54:15 pm »
That would have to tie back in because that means Kvothe has noble blood and he just dosn't act like he has any idea he is nobility.  It might tie back to whatever he did to cause  the war.

Lekismet

• Beta
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 06:24:50 pm »
@CDraper: Interesting thought . I found some of the material of the story discussed on a Tor.com website. Now I have to find the time between work, trying to get my "Magic" art work going and my friend in need of help to go over the book again.  bOOk