Ilona Andrews
News: THE KATE DANIELS WIKI | Book Releases Calendar
Forum email address (Mods): forum.ilonaandrews@gmail.com
Homepage: www.ilona-andrews.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 30, 2014, 07:26:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROWLAND, Diana  (Read 4598 times)
Readsalot81
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:05:18 am »

Mark of the Demon

Blood of the Demon

The latter just came out... technically the release date is Tuesday, but I got it early.

I really like her books. Because shes had so many different jobs in law enforcement (street cop, detective, morgue attendant), her stories come across as very authentic and realistic. Plus you throw in a sexy, dangerous demon, and a fbi agent who might define the word "other"...  (as in something that's not quite human but you don't know what exactly).

If anyone is looking for new people to try, give her a shot. She's got 5 books under contract with the story arc possibly extending into 7 books.
Vic
Beta

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:08:16 am »

I enjoyed book 1 but (obviously) haven't read book 2 yet.  Glad to hear you liked it.  Got this from reviews on book blogs last year.  Def. looking forward to seeing more of the demon lord and the FBI agent, of course.
mrsj
Beast Lord

Fulltime dreamer..

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:23:36 am »

Ooh.. you got Book 2? cool..

This book is something.. though there is one scene with the demon lord which really throw me off.. but afterall, storyline is acceptable..  Smiley

I'm a tiger.. hear me ROAR!
CheeseBK
Global Moderator
Beast Lord

rabid reader

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:41 am »

haven't read the second one yet, but loved the first one Grin

kikucat
Alpha

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:18:39 pm »

I just finished reading Blood of the Demon & really enjoyed it. I haven't read Mark of the Demon.
mrsj
Beast Lord

Fulltime dreamer..

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:19:58 pm »

@kikucat, you read book 2 first?

kikucat
Alpha

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:29:45 pm »

I never knew there was a book 1 until after I'd bought & started reading book 2 Embarrassed  I might go back & read book 1 at some point...Luckily book 2 had enough back-history that I wasn't completely lost. Fictionwise had it up on their site, it sounded interesting so I bought it. Turns out it's a very good book that I can re-read without any problem Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:32:24 pm by kikucat » Logged
mrsj
Beast Lord

Fulltime dreamer..

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »

ooh.. hehehehe

Yeah.. you didn't miss much on book 2 anyway.
You even know what happened between her and
(click to show/hide)
*lol*

Hurog_Kate
Cub

Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:22:03 pm »

I liked both of these books as well. mrsj, I'd be curious to know which scene bothered you and why?

kikucat, I'd say that probably the biggest thing you missed in book 1 was the relationship between Kara and her aunt. It's not VITAL to understanding the story, but it's an interesting relationship that impacts her driving need for action in book 2.

I don't want to write the great American Novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better. (Also, I would actually READ it.)
mrsj
Beast Lord

Fulltime dreamer..

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:58:20 am »

Hi kate, sorry to reply your post late.

The scene which bothered me will be the one whereby Kara first met the Demon Lord.
(click to show/hide)

I don't get it..  Cheesy

Hurog_Kate
Cub

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 03:43:45 pm »

Oh, that makes total sense, mrsj.
(click to show/hide)

I don't want to write the great American Novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better. (Also, I would actually READ it.)
mrsj
Beast Lord

Fulltime dreamer..

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 12:12:23 am »

hehehe.. but hey.. it's still a good book really.
I'm interested to read book 3.. god knows how long I have to wait.  Cheesy

Readsalot81
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 09:45:57 am »

It kind of... in a way, reminds me of the set-up of
(click to show/hide)
oreoparris
Alpha

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 05:22:07 am »

I have recommended her books before on this thread and after reading the third in the series I think she deserves her own thread.  The series revolves around Kara Gillian who is a homicide detective who is also a summoner of demons.

Mark of The Demon

When Homicide Detective Kara Gillian finds traces of arcane power on a body, she quickly realizes that this is no ordinary murder. The serial killer known as the Symbol Man is a nightmare that Beaulac, Louisiana thought had ended three years ago, but now he's back for an encore and leaving every indication on the flesh of his victims that he is well-versed in demonic lore.

However, Kara is a Summoner of Demons, and may be the only cop on the city's small force who can stop the killer. Able to see and interact with a world most people can't, Kara must draw on her skills as a police officer and master of the arcane to stop the Symbol Man from killing again and possibly summoning something even she can't control.

But with a demonic lord of unearthly beauty and power haunting her dreams, and a handsome yet disapproving FBI agent dogging her waking footsteps, she may be in way over her head....

I thought the premise was different, and the main character is a woman who is strong, but has some vulnerabilities and personal insecurities.
Hurog_Kate
Cub

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 09:14:27 pm »

I'm enjoying the series. I like Kara, and the unfolding of the background of the various other characters has been interesting.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: