Author Topic: BUJOLD, Lois McMaster  (Read 20442 times)

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
BUJOLD, Lois McMaster
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:10:13 am »
Author of The Vorkosigan Saga, The Chalion Series, and The Sharing Knife Series.  Fabulous author, beautiful worldbuilding, characters that make you laugh and cry and scream.  And the themes, for lack of a better word, the emotional and psychological climaxes in which the characters make a choice about who they are and what kind of person they will be....absolutely beautiful.

The Sharing Knife is fantasy, set in the Wide Green World.  Dag is a Lakewalker, a member of a sorcerous race sworn to protect the world from evil.  Fawn finds herself in an inconvenient condition without the protection of wedlock, and runs away to escape the shame and start a new life for herself and her child.  Lakewalkers consider the nonmagical folk "farmers", at best simple peasants and at worst livestock.  Farmers consider the Lakewalkers cannibals and evil spellcasters.  Dag and Fawn cross paths when the demonic malice he is hunting kidnaps her.  After that the two of them must work together to survive and bring word of the malice back.

It's a wonderful story.  The technology level seems to be just before the steam engine.  The magic system is deceptively simple.  The malices are creepy bad guys.  But it's the characters and the societies that really make this story shine.  The conflict between the Lakewalkers and the farmers is realistic and understandable, because it's all shades of grey and misunderstandings fueled by ignorance and xenophobia on both sides.  Fawn is such an enjoyable character.  She's highly intelligent but so adorably naive at the same time.  And three cheers for the depiction of a crippled hero who actually has to live with his disability, neither curing it nor ignoring it.  Dag had his left hand amputated, and the ways he has to work around that become central to his character.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

alias

• Free Person of the Code
Re: BUJOLD, Lois McMaster
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:58:39 am »
I have read the Sharing Knife series (more than once actually) and I am weeding myself through The Vorkosigan Saga (slowly mind you).  She is one of my favorite authors.

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:40:41 pm »
There's a new Vorkosigan book! jumP Cyroburn is out in November.  Miles is 36 (four years after Diplomatic Immunity) and it's from the viewpoints of Miles, his armsman, and a local.  The plot is more mystery oriented, in his role as Auditor.  I'm so excited.  The last one was back in 2002, then she switched to writing the Chalion books and then the Sharing Knife books.  I guess she needed a break after 14 straight years of the Vorkosigans! :D But now she's coming back to them. <32

jojane

• Cub
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:44:47 pm »
SylviaSybil (and anyone else interested in Cryoburn) if you like spoilers, the first five chapters are up as a free sample at Baen.com. Click on 'schedule' scroll down to November and then click on the words free sample.

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:11:37 pm »
SylviaSybil (and anyone else interested in Cryoburn) if you like spoilers, the first five chapters are up as a free sample at Baen.com. Click on 'schedule' scroll down to November and then click on the words free sample.

Ooo, thank you!  I know some people have eARCs, too, but I'm not sure how that works!

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:25:46 pm »
Thanks for posting about this author!  Her Sharing Knife series sounds good. 

bibliophile

• Cub
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:17:59 am »

Ooo, thank you!  I know some people have eARCs, too, but I'm not sure how that works!

I have the Cryoburn eARC that I ordered thru Baen, I couldn't wait.... It was excellent,  <32 <32 <32 <32 <32 Want more Vorkosigan, and Chalion and did I say more Vorkosigan...

Lois Bujold rulez  wOrshiP
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:48:42 am by bibliophile »
"When sarcasm flies over a blueblood's head, does it make a sound? No, I guess not."

"I was so afraid for you, I forgot to be afraid for your enemies. I should have remembered. Dear Captain."

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »
@Nanners, The Sharing Knife is very good.  Ms. Bujold is one of my top three authors. :)

@bibliophile, I'm jealous!  Not least because I don't read much on the computer.  I can't wait for its release - less than three weeks away! :D

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »
After viewing Lois Bujold's webiste and reading what posters have to say if one wants to explore true science fiction this an author to select.  I would have never heard of her if not for Nalini Singh's blog a few months ago. 

From a reader who is moving from romance to urban fantasy and eventually to science fiction

bibliophile

• Cub
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 07:15:37 am »
To all the Bujold fans out there. LMB's website has just been updated. (Not that I'm obsessed or anything)    jumP jumP jumP
"When sarcasm flies over a blueblood's head, does it make a sound? No, I guess not."

"I was so afraid for you, I forgot to be afraid for your enemies. I should have remembered. Dear Captain."

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 04:40:46 pm »
Picked up Bujold's The Sharing Knife, along with Bayou Moon, and Estep's Spider's Bite. 

ParTy

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 04:48:31 pm »
To all the Bujold fans out there. LMB's website has just been updated.

Heh, I'm actually disappointed.  I thought you meant she was getting a more sophisticated website.  Ms. Bujold does a lot of things well, but her website is not one of them.  It's nearly impossible to navigate and there's a lot of information it's missing.

Let us know what you think, Nanners!

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 05:14:03 pm »

Heh, I'm actually disappointed.  I thought you meant she was getting a more sophisticated website.  Ms. Bujold does a lot of things well, but her website is not one of them.  It's nearly impossible to navigate and there's a lot of information it's missing.

I agree.  Her website is messy.  Wiki is prolly more organized.  And I'll let you know what I think.   :)

bibliophile

• Cub
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 04:42:07 am »

I agree.  Her website is messy.  Wiki is prolly more organized.  And I'll let you know what I think.   :)

True, I don't think she does it herself, but theres definitely more information since I was there last...   :P

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:14 am »
I just started reading Beguilement.  LMB has written a very interesting world.  Where do authors get their ideas?  Makes me wonder about alternate worlds, like in the old television show Sliders.  Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent and into nerd mode.   :D