Author Topic: Magic Bleeds Discussion  (Read 172448 times)

aleXIII

• Beta
  • I could do this. I just had to stay cool. Zen.
Re: Magic Bleeds Discussion
« Reply #555 on: June 23, 2010, 03:15:33 am »
You know what else I noticed and this may be a sign I read far to many shifter stories, but I noticed that Curran did not bite Kate like to mark her as his own.

Lol.  Thank goodness.  Too much biting in some of these books...   :#)

Yeah...that works in the more ramancy books. I don't think it would work with Kate. I like the "I already chose my mate and glued her a$$ to the chair to make sure she knew it." It fits Kate and Curran.

Personally I like the gluing her a$$ to the chair instead of the biting, its funnier and the biting is too common nowadays...

" If I made it through this in one piece, I'd need some sort of medal to commemorate it..."

Guenivere

• Alpha
    • Calliope's Domain
« Reply #556 on: June 24, 2010, 01:43:57 am »
I always found the biting/mark thing to be more a sign of insecurity than possession or commitment. I mean, if your mate loves you, then there wouldn't be any need for the mark: she's not going to accept anyone else's advances and anyone who doesn't listen to her telling him she's taken, likely isn't going to heed a bite mark either.

The only exception is those books where the mark has some secondary function - like establishing a psychic connection or something of that like.

So, I'm glad that Kate and Curran's relationship doesn't need any knickers being thrown around necks - it shows a greater degree of trust and loyalty, in my opinion.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."

aleXIII

• Beta
  • I could do this. I just had to stay cool. Zen.
« Reply #557 on: June 24, 2010, 09:25:27 am »
Agreed. And besides Kate has enough scars on her...

" If I made it through this in one piece, I'd need some sort of medal to commemorate it..."

Kitara

• Beast Lord
  • Whatever, Your Furriness.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 24, 2010, 06:35:46 pm »
I guess I am thinking that sometimes it might be nice to know you belong to someone and they belong to you. Warm fuzzy feelings.
It's not that the mark will necessarily warn others off (though in some fictitious cultures running around in my head that would be its purpose so the idiot rakes don't get their fool a$$e$ killed dead) but it's more like a visual affirmation of something you already know. Humans are generally a very visual people. We like visual aids. So even though we KNOW something in our bones, sometimes we like having the visual confirmation anyway. And it could be a matter of pride in your mate. She/he wears your mark. You are proud of what you have together and are not ashamed that other people know of your relationship.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
[/spoiler]

Don't get me wrong. I don't think the biting/marking would work well in the Kate world. The mating frenzy is more fun and it FITS. But I think the concept can be done well in other situations.
Phantom Poodle Art By Ana

felis

• Cub
« Reply #559 on: June 24, 2010, 06:45:21 pm »
Which is why people sometimes get tattoos with their beloved's name included.

Of course, this doesn't always work out, which then gets a little complicated.

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
  • Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them.
« Reply #560 on: June 24, 2010, 06:53:53 pm »
I guess I am thinking that sometimes it might be nice to know you belong to someone and they belong to you. Warm fuzzy feelings.

In the shifter environment, I think they are similar to their animal counterparts, so they are scent driven, and smells will tell all.  Visual aids are not necessary.   paW

jes

• Cub
  • "As you wish."
« Reply #561 on: June 24, 2010, 09:37:04 pm »
I thought that Curran was in a mating frenzy when he chased Kate and Saiman from the restaurant after Saiman taunted him with the fact that he was with Kate and Curran wasn't.  I think that in Curran's mind, Kate was already his mate.  Curran wanted to kill Saiman and would have if the circumstances had been different.  That whole scene was both hilarious and tense at the same time.  You just didn't know how it was going to turn out.

LIONbook

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #562 on: June 24, 2010, 10:07:16 pm »
I think you're right, Jes. (And welcome! There's an Introduction thread in General Chat if you want to take a few minutes. :))  Curran's reaction to Saiman was extreme even for him.  I think it was mating frenzy - or worse, mating frenzy combined with uncertainty of whether he and Kate were going to work out.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

jes

• Cub
  • "As you wish."
« Reply #563 on: June 24, 2010, 11:48:32 pm »
I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the correct thread/forum or not.

But I've been thinking about the shapeshifter mating/marriage concept.  Essentially, when Kate moved into Curran's quarters in the Keep, they became officially mated and the equilivent of married in shapeshifter society. 

Now, the shapeshifters have what I would define as their own nation within the Southern US area.  They have their own laws and so forth.  Similar to Native Americans in the US.

I'm wondering whether human society would recognize their marriage in a strictly legal sense.  Will Kate be viewed as Curran's spouse or as his girlfriend #9 or whatever by the Order, People, Guild, etc;  Just as she predicted to Curran.  Do the humans understand shapeshifter customs and laws?  Do they honor those laws?  Even Kate, who is more familiar with shapeshifter customs than most humans didn't really understand all the implications of mating with Curran until Aunt B told her the score.

OrDer

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #564 on: June 25, 2010, 02:22:15 am »
Hmm.  I'm not sure.  Shapeshifters are legally recognized as their own entity as long as no outsiders are involved.  So at the beginning of MStrikes, Kate is unable to butt her way into Jim's murder investigation.  So in that sense, their marriages should be afforded the same legal courtesy.  But I'm not sure how far that extends, and if the human government would recognize Kate's legal status as a "shapeshifter", an insider in that community.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

jes

• Cub
  • "As you wish."
« Reply #565 on: June 25, 2010, 09:17:55 am »
SylviaSybil,

I think that question of the legal status of the shapeshifter marriage in human society should go under "Ask the Author".  I don't have the authority to open a topic at this point.  Is there any way that you could open the topic and post the question for me?  I would really appreciate it.

thankU

lacrima

• Beast Lord
  • IQ may vary
« Reply #566 on: June 25, 2010, 09:22:28 am »
jes, you should have now enough posts to start a topic yourself.
Master of Procrastination
"No, I'm ranting for fun, because I'm a disagreeable bitch!"

Dhana

• Kitten
« Reply #567 on: June 25, 2010, 09:47:21 am »
Hi Guys!  ;D

I have a question too, because there is said several times, that the wolves are the only ones whose mating includes the forever term.
I got it that way that mating means a real and constant relationship but not nessesaryly staying that way forever (Although to have this intention).
Am I wrong in this way? (Comparible to couples who stay together the whole life but don't mary actually)
If not, I think its understandable why mating doesn't has to end in marking somebody pysically....
(And to make it clear to everyone: I like the two of them together and would be very upset when they spilt up  hUg1)
Its just a question of further understanding....
thanks

Jilly2113

• Kitten
« Reply #568 on: June 25, 2010, 10:47:15 am »
Hi Guys!  ;D

I have a question too, because there is said several times, that the wolves are the only ones whose mating includes the forever term.
I got it that way that mating means a real and constant relationship but not nessesaryly staying that way forever (Although to have this intention).
Am I wrong in this way? (Comparible to couples who stay together the whole life but don't mary actually)
If not, I think its understandable why mating doesn't has to end in marking somebody pysically....
(And to make it clear to everyone: I like the two of them together and would be very upset when they spilt up  hUg1)
thanks

I always took that as mating is like marriage...hopefully it is forever, but the reality is that that isnt always the case...the wolves were just too stubborn to admit when things needed to end! Just my interpretation.  :)

jessie18

• Alpha
  • "Very impressive," I told him. "He can't hear you"
« Reply #569 on: June 25, 2010, 01:48:21 pm »
Hi Guys!  ;D

thanks

I always took that as mating is like marriage...hopefully it is forever, but the reality is that that isnt always the case...the wolves were just too stubborn to admit when things needed to end! Just my interpretation.  :)
I agree. 'Mating' is like marriage in the sense that you have to work at it etc, sometimes it works out for the better, sometimes you have to 'divorce' - something that apparantly wolves don't accept as an option. Mating is permanent for them.