Author Topic: MCGUIRE, Seanan  (Read 39050 times)

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
  • Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them.
MCGUIRE, Seanan
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:09:10 pm »
I just finished book one and book two of the October Daye series;  "Rosemary and Rue" and "A local habitation" and liked them much.  Very different, to me anyway, the spin on the fae world and it's various elements. 

I have a feeling that Tybalt,
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

If you like PI mysteries with magic fae elements, lots of action and violence, not plot driven by romance or smex, then you may enjoy them.   paW

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
Re: MCGUIRE, Seanan
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:27:44 pm »
Book three of the October Daye series: An Artificial Night

October "Toby" Daye is a changeling-half human and half fae-and the only one who has earned knighthood. Now she must take on a nightmarish new challenge. Someone is stealing the children of the fae as well as mortal children, and all signs point to Blind Michael. Toby has no choice but to track the villain down-even when there are only three magical roads by which to reach Blind Michael's realm, home of the Wild Hunt-and no road may be taken more than once. If Toby cannot escape with the children, she will fall prey to the Wild Hunt and Blind Michael's inescapable power.

I'm looking forward to that read, suppose to be out  9/7/10.   paW

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:31:47 pm »
PS:  She is also writing horror under Mira Grant...

CandaceB

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:12:29 pm »
Book three of the October Daye series: An Artificial Night

October "Toby" Daye is a changeling-half human and half fae-and the only one who has earned knighthood. Now she must take on a nightmarish new challenge. Someone is stealing the children of the fae as well as mortal children, and all signs point to Blind Michael. Toby has no choice but to track the villain down-even when there are only three magical roads by which to reach Blind Michael's realm, home of the Wild Hunt-and no road may be taken more than once. If Toby cannot escape with the children, she will fall prey to the Wild Hunt and Blind Michael's inescapable power.

I'm looking forward to that read, suppose to be out  9/7/10.   paW

She is currently having a contest to give away the ARC for An Artifical Night on her LiveJournal (http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/).  She is randomly picking a winner on Friday, June 18, noon Pacific Time.

I forgot to mention that it is her June 14th post.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:15:51 pm by CandaceB »

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:19:17 pm »
Ooooo - I entered!!  Weeee!!   paW

mrsj

• Beast Lord
  • Fulltime dreamer..
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:16:05 am »
Oh dear.. how can I missed recommending her!!

I agree with Blue.. the world she set up for the fae is interesting.

And yes..
I'm a tiger.. hear me ROAR!

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 02:35:39 pm »

And yes..

Yes, I agree totally - little hints here and there.  Weeee!   paW

CandaceB

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:26:26 pm »

And yes..

Yes, I agree totally - little hints here and there.  Weeee!   paW

Ditto.  noDDing

Vic

• Beta
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 04:13:08 pm »
I'm with you Blu!  Really enjoyed the audio books of bk 1 & 2 and am really anxious for bk 3 to come out!!  Not sure why the first time I started listening to Rosemary & Rue it didn't grab me but I will assume it was me just temporarily unwilling to jump into new "world."  Took me a day and then I was jumping in with both feet.  I was on fence before getting this series because of a few reviews on amazon but am happy I took the plunge!

Foxen

• Alpha
  • Highly Caffeinated
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 06:34:59 pm »
I also really like these books!

If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 06:40:02 pm »
I'm with you Blu!  Really enjoyed the audio books of bk 1 & 2 and am really anxious for bk 3 to come out!!  Not sure why the first time I started listening to Rosemary & Rue it didn't grab me but I will assume it was me just temporarily unwilling to jump into new "world."  Took me a day and then I was jumping in with both feet.  I was on fence before getting this series because of a few reviews on amazon but am happy I took the plunge!

Vic - I didn't understand why bk 2 got some cranky reviews - I liked it better even than the first!  I'm enjoying the reader too.

Yes, sometimes I start a new series or book, and it hits me just wrong - glad you gave it another chance!   paW

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 06:41:46 pm »
I also really like these books!

Yes, I'm enjoying the subtle build up too!  Funny that

lacrima

• Beast Lord
  • IQ may vary
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 02:53:51 am »
Book 2 reminded me of a slasher movie (I found out later that Seanan herself said something similar about it). I´m not a fan of horror movies, so I didn´t like the book as much as the first one. But it was still good, and I really want to read the next one.
Master of Procrastination
"No, I'm ranting for fun, because I'm a disagreeable bitch!"

BlueMtn

• Beast Lord
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 09:21:48 am »
UF is pretty much toned down horror for the most part, that is part of the genre.    Hello Kate and her sword - LOL!

I liked book 2 better because the characterization development seemed more driven,  Toby wasn't as emo as the first book - and there was just a lot more dry humor inserted here and there, so it worked better for me.  I got a little frustrated as they were in the same place spinning their wheels for too long it seemed, but overall I just liked the flow.   paW

CandaceB

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 09:29:02 am »
UF is pretty much toned down horror for the most part, that is part of the genre.    Hello Kate and her sword - LOL!

I liked book 2 better because the characterization development seemed more driven,  Toby wasn't as emo as the first book - and there was just a lot more dry humor inserted here and there, so it worked better for me.  I got a little frustrated as they were in the same place spinning their wheels for too long it seemed, but overall I just liked the flow.   paW

I did like the plot and flow of book 1 more, but I agree that book 2 had more character development which made me like it as well. I guess what I am trying to say is that I liked both books the same just for different reasons.  :)

I forgot to add that I am really looking forward to book 3 because I read somewhere (maybe in her LJ?) that there is supposed to be more Tybalt than in book 2.  <32
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:32:51 am by CandaceB »