Author Topic: BISHOP, Anne  (Read 36531 times)

Vic

• Beta
Re: BISHOP, Anne
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 01:24:31 pm »
*does a little happy dance* I'm a major dork, but I love it when I pick up an author and I didn't know what I was  missing. I'm so stoked, I have at least 5 books to read.  ;D  ;D
I feel the EXACT same way!!  So, you're not a dork because I'm not!  :P  (Though I am a bit of a geek...)

Copied my post from Audio book thread when Vinity asked about smex in this series... (not sure I needed the spoiler tag)

A lot of the EVIL from Black Jewel stems from/results in
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

TV Trope site for the series - most spoilers blanked out...

added after edit:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:22:53 pm by Vic »

Kitara

• Beast Lord
  • Whatever, Your Furriness.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 07:46:03 pm »
Hey, Vic. This is copied from your post in Hurog. But I thought it should be shared.

Someone over on LKH's board for other authors (which AB apparently monitors fairly frequently - at least for now) asked something quite intuitive that I didn't even realize until it was asked.  

Also, new anthology of BJ shorts coming out next year - 2 taking place before SL (1 I think will be covering what happened with
and 2 taking place after.  SOOO excited.

jumP jumP jumP

Phantom Poodle Art By Ana

Vic

• Beta
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 02:39:31 pm »
Cool - sometimes I forget to cross post.  Very excited about the new shorts coming out next year.  Just got Shalador's Lady and am already dying for next BJ content.  I is sad puppy...

Has

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 02:59:27 pm »
Interesting post about the direction and future for the Black Jewels trilogy -

http://bit.ly/aDfy8Q

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 05:40:13 pm »
 thankU Has.  It's sorta sad to know that Twilight's Dawn will be the last we see of the SaDiablo's for a while, but we have great stories to reread and enjoy until we see them again.

Kaelyn

• Alpha
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »
Interesting post about the direction and future for the Black Jewels trilogy -

http://bit.ly/aDfy8Q

Thanks for posting! I am sad hear it but I am excited about reading a new Ephemera story. Anne's world building always amazes me, it is so original. I can't wait to see what else she brings us.
"Rocks fall...Everyone dies."

"No, Bad Hobo"

Has

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 11:44:46 am »
I will be sad to see the last of most of the characters from this series but I think their stories are told.Although I loved the books set after original trilogy - they never really touched the oomph and power of the original books. I think its partly due to the villians was killed off and the antagonists in the later books but I loved the insights and goings on with the SaDiablo family and other characters.  I would like to see more of this world though and I look forward to another Emphemera book! I am also curious about this new world that Anne has perculating in her head :D

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 07:51:52 pm »
Wow, it's been awhile.

jumP I have Twilight's Dawn. I have Twilight's Dawn. jumP

crYing I'm not allowed to read it until Friday night when homework is done.  crYing

jumP I have Twilight's Dawn. I have Twilight's Dawn. jumP

crYing I'm not allowed to read it until Friday night when homework is done.  crYing

...You get the idea.

Vic

• Beta
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 08:30:58 pm »
Nice... I'll be you on Tuesday!  I'm getting the audio.

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 11:17:06 pm »
Twilight's Dawn is bittersweet. The last story at least. The first three were good, especially finally finding out how Falonar made such an idiot of himself so as to draw the Sadist's attention. That was probably my favorite of the four stories. The last one was - bittersweet. Just in case any of you read the summary, I want to reassure you that it 1)jumps ahead in time by decades and 2)covers a whole lot of decades all on its own. So it isn't as horrible as the summary terrified me into thinking. Just sad and bittersweet.

I think I will go back and read the Shalador books, which in many ways are the best of Daemon and Jaenelle.

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 11:22:32 pm »
I've heard so many good things about Anne Bishop's Black Jewel's Trilogy so I went to a liquidation sale and picked up four Black Jewel's books(Tangled Webs, Twilight's Dawn, The Shadow Queen, and The Invisible Ring) figuring at least 3 of them are of the trilogy and one a spin-off.  Nope!  Not so lucky.  That's all the bookstore had on the shelf.  Anywho, I purchased Daughter of the Blood today.  After the other two books in the trilogy do the other BJ books need to be read in order?  Thanks!

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 11:36:31 pm »
I've heard so many good things about Anne Bishop's Black Jewel's Trilogy so I went to a liquidation sale and picked up four Black Jewel's books(Tangled Webs, Twilight's Dawn, The Shadow Queen, and The Invisible Ring) figuring at least 3 of them are of the trilogy and one a spin-off.  Nope!  Not so lucky.  That's all the bookstore had on the shelf.  Anywho, I purchased Daughter of the Blood today.  After the other two books in the trilogy do the other BJ books need to be read in order?  Thanks!

We have a convert!  eviL

Seriously, hope you enjoy the series. The Invisible ring can kinda be read at any time, because it takes place centuries before the main timeline, but doesn't really connect to it. I would suggest reading it before Shalador's Lady or Shadow Queen, because otherwise you miss out on the history.

This is Anne's response to a question on suggested reading order, which can be found in the FAQ section of her website:

Black Jewels series:
Daughter of the Blood (Black Jewels Trilogy: Book 1)
Heir to the Shadows (Black Jewels Trilogy: Book 2)
Queen of the Darkness (Black Jewels Trilogy: Book 3)

The Invisible Ring*

Dreams Made Flesh
Tangled Webs

The Shadow Queen**
Shalador's Lady** (sequel to The Shadow Queen)

Twilight’s Dawn

*The Invisible Ring is a standalone novel which could be read before or after the others.
**The characters in The Shadow Queen and Shalador's Lady are connected to the main characters in The Invisible Ring.
Originally posted at http://www.annebishop.com/a.faq.html

Vic

• Beta
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 12:26:57 am »
Kitara - thanks for answering so thoroughly! 

Nanners - Really hope you like them.  Warning there is a triggering event in book 1 of the trilogy and this is DARK fantasy.  There are a few scenes that are like a train wreck... but the story IMO is excellent (through out the series)  Personally my favorites are books 2, 3, tangled web, shalador's lady and shadow queen.

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 05:19:24 pm »
Thanks for all the information!  I started the book last night.  It's one of those books where you have to pay attention to the details.  At this time, I'm trying to get an understanding of the world, it's "threads" and such.  It's a compelling read so far.  As far as the triggering events and the dark aspect of the fantasy, I'm aware yet thanks for the heads-up. 

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »
Daughter of the Blood was very good!  I am having a hard time understanding the realms in this world.  It seems that even when people are "dead" they are corporeal.  Maybe I'm not understanding.   Anyway, I'm reading Heir to the Shadows now.   :D