Author Topic: BISHOP, Anne  (Read 36529 times)

Kitara

• Beast Lord
  • Whatever, Your Furriness.
    • Facebook Profile
Re: BISHOP, Anne
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 09:38:13 pm »
I am having a hard time understanding the realms in this world.  It seems that even when people are "dead" they are corporeal.  Maybe I'm not understanding.   :D

That's right. When the body dies, the Self (mind/soul) lives on in the body, kinda like vampires I guess.
Phantom Poodle Art By Ana

Guenivere

• Alpha
    • Calliope's Domain
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 10:08:59 pm »
In the series there are various kinds of dead. Mostly it depends on the level of power you have when you die. Most "return to the darkness" - which is more-or-less a normal death. Others, who have too much power to fade to the darkness immediately but not enough to become demon dead, can become ghosts - of which there are two kinds: those that loop, mostly replaying their death, and those that can actually interact, like Rose, who guides Surreal at Briar Wood. When their energy fades, they return to the darkness.

Then there are the demon dead. These are members of the Blood who had too much power to simply fade to the darkness immediately on death. Demon dead have two choices: they can either go to the ruler of Hell and ask to have their power burned away so they can return to the darkness or they can continue to live in Hell and have lives more or less like those they had in life. Some demon dead will simply hang around long enough for their spouse to join them, others will live on for centuries, it's relative. Oh, and demon dead and sunlight don't really mix, since it causes their energy (in general, not their lifeforce) to drain faster.

Finally, there are Guardians, like Saetan, who are more than simply demon dead having been imbued with more essence in order to, you guessed it, guard something.

It becomes more clear as Jaenelle hangs out more in Hell/the Hall and more, er, dead people hang out with her.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 10:56:13 pm »
 noDDing What Guenivere said. That was an impressive explanation.

Vic

• Beta
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 11:43:03 pm »
NICE explanation Guenivere!  Please let us know how you're liking series nanners!  I think this series are one of those that spawn total fanatics (yes, my name is Vic and I'm a black jewels-aholic) and those who don't really care for the series.  If you're moving to book 2, I foresee the need for you to join our 12 step program of black jewels support.  By that I mean we egg you on to get each book and read it over and over!  :-D

Guenivere

• Alpha
    • Calliope's Domain
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 02:45:12 am »
I LOVE the series. I've reread the original series so many times I have to have two copies. I just love how the story is told; how everything revolves around Jaenelle and bounces around from several characters' POV without ever giving Jaenelle's own. It almost balances out how powerful she is while at the same time further emphasizing her importance - it was an ingenious writing technique.

I also thought the whole concept of Dreams Made Flesh was fantastic - it gave a collection of shorts each focusing on one of the three male leads and each giving a different insight into the story.

The Invisible Ring is a prequel, and I loved having that view of the Blood Realms, set further back when Dorothea was still cultivating her control of the realm. It was like...hm, how to put this...it was like reading about American politics and then travelling back in time to see how the Romans did it.

And then the spin-offs started...

I liked Tangled Webs, don't get me wrong - it was good- but it had this short-story vibe to it, you know? Almost like it was meant to be a short story or novella but woke up one morning to find itself a full-length novel and just couldn't fit itself to the role. The two Shalador books about Cassie were almost like the bastard children of The Invisible Ring and Tangled Webs in that they took some an ordinary-day-in-the-life storyline about Jaenelle and her family and woven it into a large story arc about the descendants of the main characters of The Invisible Ring.

I like that for what may be the last book in the series, Twilight's Dawn, Bishop returned to the collection style of Dreams Made Flesh.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

And, again, I really do LOVE this series, it's just that after the original trilogy it got a bit...forced, you know? It still rocked, it just lost some of its original oomph.

...with the exception of the spoiler-tagged section, I think I skimmed this side of the spoiler line pretty well...didn't I?

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »
Yep, you did.

nanners

• Beta
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 11:56:54 am »
Thanks Guenivere for your earlier explanation on demon-dead, darkness, and living. 

I struggled through Heir to the Shadows yet once I got to Queen of the Darkness I found my groove again.  I enjoyed the series.  I also made sure to read The Prince of Ebon Righ(sp?) in Dreams made Flesh right after book two, which helped when reading book three.  Loved Lucivar and his hearth witch's story.  I have to say Lucivar was my favorite.  It was nice seeing men play a different role in their society, such as, they needed to be loved and feel useful, which is usually portrayed in female roles.  They retained their masculinity and had an ache their women could fill with their love.  Nice!

I've read what happen's in the last book, not here, but somewhere else. And

Vic

• Beta
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 05:35:48 pm »
.... Now, I'm thinking of the movie "My Dog Skip."  A boy, his dog, and family that find a happy ending, but the director couldn't stop there.  Skip ages, the boy goes off to college, dog can't jump on his bed anymore to sleep, and dog dies.  Gah!   crYing

I KNOW!  Fade to black already!  I SOBBED at end of that movie and then cuddle my dogs (had 2 at the time and am down to 1 now)

Kitara

• Beast Lord
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 07:36:19 pm »
.... Now, I'm thinking of the movie "My Dog Skip."  A boy, his dog, and family that find a happy ending, but the director couldn't stop there.  Skip ages, the boy goes off to college, dog can't jump on his bed anymore to sleep, and dog dies.  Gah!   crYing

I KNOW!  Fade to black already!  I SOBBED at end of that movie and then cuddle my dogs (had 2 at the time and am down to 1 now)

Director: What is this "Happy Ending" you speak of? We not have this in home country.  killPC

:#)

Kaelyn

• Alpha
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »
Just a heads up for all of you that are waiting for Bridge of Dreams (Lee's Book)... Anne put out a short story recently called The Voice.

It is set in Ephemera (which is my favorite world of hers). I loved it, it really shows off Anne's talent for beautiful writing and her ability to play with your emotions. Fair warning, it isn't always a happy story. It pulled me from pure disgust to hope and happiness. It doesn't sugar coat things, it is almost savage in its presentation, giving a visual picture to the consequences of choices made. I feel like my brain got punched and is still trying to figure things out.

Oh, and there is an excerpt at the end.  :)

http://annebishop.com/b.voice.html

I am now even more excited to have a new book in the Ephemera world!   jumP

You don't have to read one to read the other but if you are like me, you will want to read it anyway.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:46:01 pm by Kaelyn »
"Rocks fall...Everyone dies."

"No, Bad Hobo"

Vic

• Beta
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 04:26:46 am »
Hey - haven't been on this forum for a bit (mostly checking my goodreads account when I have time) but want to say that Ms. Bishop's new series for The Others - Written in Red is AWESOME.  I feel like it is totally up there with Black Jewels but don't want to pump it up too much and then have peeps disappointed.  But if you've enjoyed any of the Bishop series, you really should give this one a try.  I think the book is better than the audiobook but that the abook is OK.  Not a huge fan of the narrator (she sounds a bit young and makes it sound a bit like a YA book IMO) but I have book ebook and abook and have done both since the book came out on Tues of this week.

jojane

• Cub
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 08:01:44 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation Vic. I wasn't aware this was out and I really enjoyed the sample chapter I found. Unfortunately it's not available in ebook here in the UK and I don't really want to spend £16.99 ($25) on a hardback. Looks like I'll be waiting a year or so for the paperback  :(.

I have wishlisted it though so I don't forget.

Raven

• Kitten
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 01:21:15 pm »
Written in Red is unbelievably good.  It's strictly urban fantasy, no romance, although undertones are there and may come into play in the next book or so.  It's so well written and one of those books you'll not miss one word.  Big bad wolves, vampires and "Others" and a baby wolf you'll fall in love with.  wolfTONGUE

Vinity

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 12:35:28 am »
It was very good :)  jumP
Beyond this point, there be Dragons.

Desme

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 04:10:30 pm »
That book was so good ! One of the best UF I've ever read, and I'm really picky about that genre. I loved everything about it. I couldn't list all the things I loved about it, as I would have to transcribe the whole book.
Oh, the things I want now that I've read this. I want to cuddle with the book. I want the next book NOW. I want a Wolf to warm my feet in the winter. And I want a mug with "The Meg" written on it.
A kick in the teeth is good for some
A kiss with a fist is better than none