Author Topic: BISHOP, Anne  (Read 24666 times)

Guenivere

• Alpha
    • Calliope's Domain
Re: BISHOP, Anne
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07:35 pm »
Do I need to mark this with an Irony Alert? Should he perhaps have taken a belt to her, or backhanded her across the room?

Oh, wow...I was thinking maybe she should've been grounded. After all, it wasn't so much that she had been a brat - it was that her actions led to pretty severe circumstances that could have been much, much worse. Lizzie was dealing with blood prophets and Others - and not just any Others, but ones who are extremely protective of their blood prophet. Lizzie was going through a lot, yes, but, despite her age, she also needs to understand the sort of danger she was flirting with.  Sam is quite young too and perhaps even more traumatized having witnessed his mother's death firsthand, but when he courted danger by defying Simon's authority, he ended up with Simon's fangs at his throat in a show of dominance. Not that Lizzie, being human, should have had that same method used on her, of course - but she did need SOME gesture that would leaving a lasting impression and deter from making a similar mistake in the future.

...way to go to extremes there, Jewel. O_O

I have to say, I love the end of the third book, where *SPOILER* Simon takes Megs hand, after asking what it means to take a womans hand. I think its very romantic.

I'm looking forward to the next time Simon leaves the Courtyard and Meg tries out Merrilee's peck on the cheek suggestion.  :D

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."

Bat

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2015, 12:44:01 am »
Hmmm, Lizzie was a rather unbearable little brat, probably from unbuffered exposure to her manipulative and totally self-centered mother.  But she IS  only seven and I think did learn something.  I thought she deserved more than just a lecture too, but also realize how difficult a situation it was for Monty.  He just got her back after not being sure if he would ever see her again.

I don't see Monty as a whiner, he  was instead a very stressed out man, scared for his daughter and fairly terrorized about how the Others were going to react to the stupidity of his fellow humans, and apparently one of the few around who actually have any understanding of their capabilities and the restraint the had shown in not just saying to h*ll with it and destroying the city.

As for his not being sure how the Others would treat the prophets, we have to remember that he does not have all the information and experiences the we readers have.  He is learning, but also unsure and scared.  Have patience with him

"Eaten any adventurers lately?"
"Sure, just had one this morning. Look, I still got his femur stuck in my teeth.  Is that upsetting to you?"

jewelwing

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2015, 04:58:45 pm »
I apologize, Guenivere; I occasionally get a little overprotective of fictional characters, who after all cannot have their feelings hurt by readers. Your reply was more gracious than mine.

I do agree with what Bat says, with the additional note that Monty's separation from his wife, however lamentable her conduct, was not by his choice. So in addition to everything else on his plate, he is dealing with some level of grief. That is not necessarily a prescription for rational parenting choices or social interactions. I have had the opportunity to observe a fair amount of grief behavior over the past few years, on both sides of my family, and it does not always make sense to anyone other than the individual involved.

And, good point about characters not having the same access to information that readers do.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:02:53 pm by jewelwing »

hotiedethknt

• Cub
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2015, 01:13:00 am »
The new cover, title and a snippet been posted for book 4 Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop for the Other series.  You can see and read the snippet at http://happyeverafter.usatoday.com/2015/08/05/marked-in-flesh-cover-reveal-excerpt-anne-bishop/ Enjoy.

Bat

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2015, 11:48:20 pm »
The new cover, title and a snippet been posted for book 4 Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop for the Other series.  You can see and read the snippet at http://happyeverafter.usatoday.com/2015/08/05/marked-in-flesh-cover-reveal-excerpt-anne-bishop/ Enjoy.

Thank you for sharing.  Had to literally laugh out loud at "He was going to have to chase her more to build up her lungs. " :-)

"Eaten any adventurers lately?"
"Sure, just had one this morning. Look, I still got his femur stuck in my teeth.  Is that upsetting to you?"