Author Topic: AGUIRRE, Ann  (Read 32496 times)

Has

• Free Person of the Code
AGUIRRE, Ann
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:47:21 pm »
I thought I would start a thread for Ann Aguirre.

I love her Grimspace series which is similar to Farscape/Firefly in tone and style as well as being an Urban Fantasy set in space. I highly recommend this series if you want to check out something different.
The series is about a navigator called Jax who is able tro guide ships into grimspace only a few are able to do so and she gets caught up in consipiracy from the corporation that she works with and ends up with a crew of rebels.

First book is called Grimspace, 2nd book is called Wanderlust and the upcoming book 3rd book will be out in Aug/Sep Doubleblind. There will be 6 books in all and Ann recently stated that she just finished the final book.

She also has an Urban Fantasy set in Mexico and Texas and is called Blue Diablo. Its about a woman who is able to touch and read objects. I also recommend this series it has great characters/pacing and good touches of humour like the possessed diaphragm (yes that is right) and Butch the dog!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:07:49 am by Ying »

Good Mazoku

• Bookpusher extraordinaire.
Re: Aguirre, Ann
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:54:05 pm »
The possessed diaphragm!! :D :D I have to say, I had known all along what he had brought, but for it to be possessed... *snicker, snort* that one I would have never thought. ;D ;D

Now, I can't wait for the sequel to Blue Diablo, that was an evil cliffhanger there. *pout* At least Doubleblind is coming up soon. ;D
Knocking on wood. If I were touching wood, I'd be a lot happier.

Has

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:14:01 pm »
I agree!!!  Although i wonder if its still haunting him though :D LOL

You know I didnt think it was a real cliffhanger lol. But I had a proper rethink and now I am definitely on team Chance!

Good Mazoku

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:31:39 pm »
Me too. ;) And yep, at first it doesn't feel like a cliffhanger...but let a couple months pass and then, voilĂ , cliffhanger served!! ;D

Has

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:46:27 pm »
You need to read KMM and Rachel Caine and then you will know the meaning of the Cliffhanger :D

But when we will get the excerpt for Shady Lady then it wont be hopefully :P

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:32:32 am »
You need to read KMM and Rachel Caine and then you will know the meaning of the Cliffhanger :D

I have to agree! waiting for the next installment in the series is very, very painful...

I'll check out ann aguirre's books... I know you mentioned them to me before, has, but I think I forgot .... *blushes*

Has

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:50:14 am »
Its ok hon!
I know I think I must have deluged you guys with lots of recs - But def check out her Grimspace series I think you will love that!

e_booklover

• Cub
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 03:00:32 pm »
They are dark and gritty yet still have hope flowing thru.  Quite good reads :)

Artangel

• Book addicts R us
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 08:28:21 pm »
I enjoyed the Grimspace series but did not fall in love with it. I do really like Blue Diablo though.
  Curran's Kitten :P

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
Re: AGUIRRE, Ann
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:46 pm »
I loved Grimspace.  It was exciting, took some old ideas and mixed them up new, and the relationship between them had me alternatively awwing and cracking up.  Then I read Wanderlust, and I fell out of love with the series.  To me, the sequel did not live up to the promise of the first book, and the answers to the mysteries raised in the first one were boring, and not nearly as exciting as they sounded like they should be.  I will definitely be checking Doubleblind out of the library before/if I buy it.  If that one doesn't fix the problems of Wanderlust then I won't be following the series anymore.  Right now I prefer to read Grimspace as a stand-alone. 
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I loved Blue Diablo.  I'm afraid to read the sequel now.  I probably won't buy either one until I've checked out Corine 2 and made sure it doesn't suck.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

Has

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 11:49:21 am »
Sylvia have you read the short story at Ann's site about March? Its like a prequel of sorts and explains why he does that

I hope this makes sense :P

By the way Ann has an ARC giveaway- its for her new book under her pen name of Ava Grey. I love the description of a crossover between Linda Howard and Anne Stuart!
http://www.annaguirre.com/archives/2009/08/24/skin-game-arc-contest/

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 07:12:19 pm »
I had read the short story, and I understand why he made that decision.  I just feel that the decision made for a substantially weaker story.  Also, the mystery and charm of the first book wasn't very present in this one.  If Doubleblind is good, maybe that and the first one can carry the second one between them.

I simply didn't like Wanderlust.  But I wouldn't discourage anyone else from trying her books.  Grimspace and Blue Diablo were both four star novels in my accounting, well worth the read.

Cerulean

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:27:42 am »
I see your point about Wanderlust - now that you point it out, it is a bit frustrating. Having recently finished Doubleblind, though, you may like it since I think that Ann neatly avoids several cliches and the characters definitely show signs of moving forward.
"Books are the carriers of civilization . . . They are companions, teachers, magicians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print." Barbara W. Tuchman (1912-1989)

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 12:37:01 am »
I'm keeping my eyes open for Doubleblind at the library.  I will be reading it, just not buying it until after I'm sure the series picked up again.  But I have heard good things so far.

Good Mazoku

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:17 am »
I absolutely loved Doubleblind! :) Vel has become my favorite secondary character, it was great to get to know so much about the world he comes from and how much his behavior is different from that of the other Ithtorians.