Author Topic: BRIGGS, Patricia  (Read 141920 times)

Fidelia

• Free Person of the Code
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 10:16:42 am »
before I picked up Raven's Shadow I had just finished a particularly horribly written book. After I read just the first paragraph of Raven's Shadow it's like that horrible book just slipped away. It was so nice to pick up a book well written and where so much was done right and well. Ahh. It was the perfect thing to wash away the memory of that other book.

I know exactly what you mean.  I've been reading a how-to guide on how NOT to write fantasy.  I just finished the sections on political intrigue and relationships among nobles, and remembering all the terrible books that got them wrong.  So now I'm going to go pick up When Demons Walk, which uses both elements brilliantly, to wash the taste out of my brain.

What guide are you reading?
"The acorn ... It's coming."

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 09:43:45 pm »
I've been reading a how-to guide on how NOT to write fantasy.

What guide are you reading?

Posted the link in General Chat. :)
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

cotty

• Beta
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 02:48:33 pm »
Is there a story telling how Charles and Anna meet? Is it in an anthology?

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »

OMG YES!!! :o You have to read it.  You should have read it before Cry Wolf, it would have made so much sense to you.  I didn't read it first either, and I was very peeved when I found it.  I think the publishers should have included a note in Cry Wolf stating that it followed a prequel.

The novella is "Alpha and Omega" in the On the Prowl anthology.  If you're an ebook reader, you should be able to buy it separately.  Two of the other stories were mediocre, three or three and a half stars.  The last story, by Sunny...spare yourself the pain and don't even read it.

alias

BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 03:01:28 pm »

OMG YES!!! :o You have to read it.  You should have read it before Cry Wolf, it would have made so much sense to you.  I didn't read it first either, and I was very peeved when I found it.  I think the publishers should have included a note in Cry Wolf stating that it followed a prequel.

The novella is "Alpha and Omega" in the On the Prowl anthology.  If you're an ebook reader, you should be able to buy it separately.  Two of the other stories were mediocre, three or three and a half stars.  The last story, by Sunny...spare yourself the pain and don't even read it.

YES you must read it.  I think it is really important to understand how they met and Anna's beginnings.

cotty

• Beta
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 03:58:18 pm »
Oh girls, you are fab as always!!! Thanks it was doing my head in--- as it really did not make sense to leave it out!! Xxxx

Libby13

• Beast Lord
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 04:32:35 pm »
cotty I've got it if you want to borrow it?
“You look like shit.”  Honesty is important in any relationship.

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
    • What If Books Etc.
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »
Oh girls, you are fab as always!!! Thanks it was doing my head in--- as it really did not make sense to leave it out!! Xxxx

I had the same feeling.  I read the first two pages, put the book down and looked up Patty's backlist.  Nope, no other novels listed, guess she just likes to skip the first meeting and condense a week into ten minutes...and then I found "Alpha and Omega". >:(

Ying

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 05:16:20 am »
I was lucky that I read it in order. It would be very confusing to miss out Alpha and Omega.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 01:43:12 pm »
yes, without the short story it's a given you end up confuzzled. 

cotty

• Beta
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 08:03:40 am »
Thanks for offer Libby but I had already ordered from amazon- read now and all is clear- think Charles is joining my top shifter alpha  list . Like Anna as a heroine too.

I have loved the mercy series- which of her other books should I get? X

Ying

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 08:14:06 am »
Cotty, my fav are Raven Duology and Hurog Duology. Word of warning for "On the prowl" anthologies, the last story is AWFUL! I regret those 20 min I spent reading that story, one of the worst stories I have every read (or perhaps the worst). I get upset just thinking about it, lol.

CheeseBK

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
  • rabid reader
    • my livejournal
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 09:48:08 am »
Cotty, my fav are Raven Duology and Hurog Duology. Word of warning for "On the prowl" anthologies, the last story is AWFUL! I regret those 20 min I spent reading that story, one of the worst stories I have every read (or perhaps the worst). I get upset just thinking about it, lol.

ditto to all my mod-sista said. avoid last story in on the prowl. AVOID; AVOID!!!!! DO NOT READ! *coughs*

I liked all of patricia briggs' books. Raven/Hurog (Dragon Bones +  Dragon Blood) /Steal the Dragon/Masques (her first book, I think, will come out as new, re-worked edition soon),... are all epic fantasy, not urban fantasy.

alias

BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 11:28:56 am »

ditto to all my mod-sista said. avoid last story in on the prowl. AVOID; AVOID!!!!! DO NOT READ! *coughs*

I liked all of patricia briggs' books. Raven/Hurog (Dragon Bones +  Dragon Blood) /Steal the Dragon/Masques (her first book, I think, will come out as new, re-worked edition soon),... are all epic fantasy, not urban fantasy.

I am not an anthology lover at all.  I will pick them up to read one story if that.  In the "On the Prowl" book, I only read Briggs.  I did not even bother with the other ones.

cotty

• Beta
BRIGGS, Patricia
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 02:47:41 pm »
What does Hurog mean? I notice forum Sis called hurogkate?