Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 174483 times)

milo

• Alpha
What are you currently reading?
« on: October 18, 2010, 12:38:41 pm »
venom by jennifer estep  jumP
"Here Kitty Kitty Kitty"
"I can't let him kiss me again, because if he does, I'll sleep with him."

Has

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:17:49 pm »
@Kikukat

The Ghostland series is really good - I really enjoyed the first two although the first book Ghostland was more focused on the sex, the plot/characters was well drawn out but the sex scenes *and I like my smex!* overshadowed the plot at times. I am glad to hear the latest one has toned it down. Jory Strong started off as an erotic romance author from Ellora's Cave but her move to Berkely has been great. Loved the worldbuilding and atmosphear of her books.

MinnChica

• Global Moderator
  • Beast Lord
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »
I just finished Love in the Time of Dragons last night by Katie MacAlister. It said it was supposed to be the first book in the series, but I was totally lost through parts of it. Pretty sure all the characters are from a different series of hers, and I definitely should have read it before starting this one... Wasn't a fan.  :(
The opposite of War isn't peace, it's Creation.
www.thebookpushers.com

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:42 pm »
@Has : I wasn't very impressed with the "submissive" factor in book 1 but didn't let it stop me from enjoying the rest of the book. I'm reading book 2 Spider Touched & haven't gotten far enough into it for smex, lol. They just
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Edit : Okay, so I was wrong :#) I'd say out the 3 books Healer's Choice has the less amount of smex. Maybe Jory got a clue after books 1 & 2 ? I don't mind smex in a book but not 24/7...It especially annoys me when the basic storyline is good but the smex gets in the way. I'm debating whether I wanna finish Spider's Touch or not...I probably will :#)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:26:25 pm by kikucat »

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:50:46 pm »
I just finished Love in the Time of Dragons last night by Katie MacAlister. It said it was supposed to be the first book in the series, but I was totally lost through parts of it. Pretty sure all the characters are from a different series of hers, and I definitely should have read it before starting this one... Wasn't a fan.  :(

I think that's the sequel series to her Aisling Grey series.  Can't swear to that but it makes sense, especially since Aisling Grey is about dragons.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:57:16 am »
Just got my hands on Queen Of Shadows by Dianne Sylvan. Here's the blurb...
Meet Miranda Grey-music and magic are in her blood.
Overwhelmed by her uncanny ability to manipulate people's emotions through her music, Miranda Grey comes to the attention of vampire lord David Solomon. Believing he can help bring her magic under control, David discovers that Miranda's powers may affect the vampire world too...

jessie18

• Alpha
  • "Very impressive," I told him. "He can't hear you"
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 08:16:09 am »

I think that's the sequel series to her Aisling Grey series.  Can't swear to that but it makes sense, especially since Aisling Grey is about dragons.
I think it's a related to the Aisling Grey and her other series (can't remember the name of the protagonist - Playing with Fire was the first I think)
It's not really a 'sequel' per se but I think it's related. I can't recall why - but it was related it. I was going to read it but after the 'Playing with Fire series' deterioated into just 'SEX! Sex! Come and read some SEX! Oh, and a little sprinkling of plot to make it fiction and NOT an erotic novel' ::rolls eyes:: Anyway, I didn't bother but I'm pretty sure its related.

Libby13

• Beast Lord
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:51:03 am »

I think it's a related to the Aisling Grey and her other series (can't remember the name of the protagonist - Playing with Fire was the first I think)
It's not really a 'sequel' per se but I think it's related. I can't recall why - but it was related it. I was going to read it but after the 'Playing with Fire series' deterioated into just 'SEX! Sex! Come and read some SEX! Oh, and a little sprinkling of plot to make it fiction and NOT an erotic novel' ::rolls eyes:: Anyway, I didn't bother but I'm pretty sure its related.

Yes it's related - you've got the Aisling Grey series with 4 books that then moves into the Silver Dragon series with May and Gabriel that's 3 books that then leads into the Light Dragon series Baltic's stories. Apparently they can all be stand alone but having followed the series I would say you would have to read the other 2 first. Recommend Aisling Grey books, can't recommend the first 2 Silver Dragon books but third one is a lot better and I quite liked Love in the time of Dragons however this might be because I knew what was going on
“You look like shit.”  Honesty is important in any relationship.

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:13:02 am »
Have started reading I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. Dunno if I've ever read anything by him or not. Here's the blurb from Amazon.

It starts with whispers.
Then someone picks up a stone.
Finally, the fires begin.
When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .
Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.
But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Curran4Eva

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 06:47:03 pm »
I just finished Warprize by E. Vaughan and lurved it!  I saw it mentioned on here and requested it from the library.. now waiting on the other 2 in the series....  Thanks to whoever mentioned it!

SylviaSybil

• Beast Lord
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
    • What If Books Etc.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:53:14 pm »
Have started reading I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. Dunno if I've ever read anything by him or not. Here's the blurb from Amazon.

Good book!  It's set on the Discworld and technically book 4 in a series but I think you could just jump right in.  Actually I think some people would prefer to start with book 4 since she's older here.  She's 9 in book 1, 11 in book 2, 13 in book 3 and 15 in this one.

*cough* Anyway, it's a good book. ;D
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may break my heart.

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 07:44:57 am »
@SS : I'd wondered if there was more to Tiff's story from the references dropped. No big deal since I was able to fall into this book pretty easy without having read the other books. And your right, I might not have been as interested in a 9 y/olds tale.
The humor is similar to Gail Carriger in a dry kind of way. I'm enjoying the book very much, btw. It's kind of refreshing to not have blood, guts & magic being flung about indiscriminately ;D

Cathica

• Free Person of the Code
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 09:33:26 am »
The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.  bOOk
"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?"

kikucat

• Alpha
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 04:00:43 pm »
Finished off I Shall Wear Midnight & liked it very much. I suppose there's going to be more in Tiffany's future, especially after Preston
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
. How long does it take for the author to churn out a book?
I just started on Blood Trinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon & Dianna Love.

Kalimera

• Alpha
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 04:16:39 pm »
Just finished Dreamfever. Awesome!!  <32
Now, it's One more bite  :)