Ilona Andrews
News: THE KATE DANIELS WIKI | Book Releases Calendar
Forum email address (Mods): forum.ilonaandrews@gmail.com
Homepage: www.ilona-andrews.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 01, 2014, 05:24:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I love Kate Daniels novels the most for?  (Read 5525 times)
aminebabe
Kitten

sanity is highly overrated ...

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 03:53:41 pm »

What I love, is how the actions in this series have consequences. The heroine doesn't always get to save the day she wants to, people can't just wave their magic wand and make everything okay, and that sometimes these consequences stretch across books Smiley

It's like the Discworld series in that regard, that, and it seems fresh everytime I reread Grin

"The sun never sets on the British Empire ... that's because God doesn't trust the British in the dark"

"It's not life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic"

"Go on, prove me wrong. Destroy the fabric of the universe. See if I care."
Shellette
Kitten

Life, Love, Family, Books

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 06:17:33 pm »

If I had to pick one thing, I would agree with Geraze, *Everything*
 wOrshiPThe writing is exceptional, its not chopped and thrown together, it all flows very well together.

mellifluous
Kitten

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 06:06:03 am »

I almost can't choose between the dialogue and the world building, but I think the world building has to win (narrowly). It is what makes these books unique!!!
Ana
Beta

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 07:10:47 am »

I love the supporting cast!  These books do a better job than most of having secondary characters who are self-motivated and have their own agenda rather than just being "there" for the sake of the plot.
dingo baby
Beast Lord

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 09:26:42 am »

I love the supporting cast!  These books do a better job than most of having secondary characters who are self-motivated and have their own agenda rather than just being "there" for the sake of the plot.

SO TRUE!

Books where the world revolves around the hero or heroine just don't feel right. Life isn't like that.

"What kind of shapeshifter has orange fur anyway?"
"Weredingo."
Now I'd seen everything. Well, at least he didn't steal my baby.
oreoparris
Alpha

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 01:41:01 pm »

I almost can't choose between the dialogue and the world building, but I think the world building has to win (narrowly). It is what makes these books unique!!!

I would say the dialogue!  I think its great that you could be reading with such anxiety because you are not sure what will happen next and then all of a sudden you could be laughing because of the interaction of Kate and (take your pick, she can be snarky with everyone!).  There are so many one liners in these books its impossible to name them all!
g027
Free Person of the Code

BoRanBa x CaKaMac

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 04:35:46 am »

Hmm.. Probably dialogue for me too.. Actually, maybe Kate's voice. That's what initially hooked me. I love that she can be cool and rational at times [well, Kate-rational]. She's snarky and kick-a$$. I can sympathise with her, I get pissed alongside her( Cheesy heh) basically, I connect with her character.

gingko-girl
Free Person of the Code

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 08:45:29 pm »

Truly, I enjoy so many of the things that have already been mentioned: the world building, the humor, Kate as a kick ass heroine etc.
But, I am a sucker for the wounded hero. Kate is a wounded hero who acts/is tough but has a very vulnerable core.
I have loved watching Kate's emotional development through the series. I've loved watching her grow and develop relationships.
And I love that Kate can make me laugh and even cry. The first time she cried I thought I was going to lose it.
LadySoria25
Kitten

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 08:43:43 pm »

This is a hard one..I think I'm going to have to go with what draw me into the books. Its because it so different then most fantasy type novels. The fact magic is out in open, the fact that magic is not just for the rich, in fact everyday people probably have more exposure to it, the fact vampires aren't pretty or anything people would want to be, the fact in the war in Magic verus Tech magic is winning for a nice change.... and now I'm rambling. I just found these books so fascinating how could I not like them?
KitKat
Cub

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »

If I had to pick just one thing, I would go with Kate and Curran relationship. I love the way it started: just a teasing, but as the story develops they begin growing in each other. It's so much more enjoyable then the "I looked at her and I knew she was my mate", so common in many paranormal romances... I love the humor between them, the way they tease and irritate each other and then just find a nonsense way to make peace. I love that we are being able to see their relationship grow. They know it won't be ease, they have their arguments, but they don't give up. I'm so, so glad that we can see a couple really building their relationship, leaving together, dealing not only with big "saving the world problems" but also the small things of daily life, which are so important in any marriage. And (I don't know Ilona's plans but we can always hope for the best!) I would love to see Kate pregnant doing her crazy job and Curran trying to slow her down, for her own sake and the baby's. I would love to see both of them raising their little brats, trying to put up with all the havoc their children might cause!
skyestorm8
Kitten

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 01:54:42 am »

For me it was the Kate and Curran relationship too.  The tension, the wit, the sarcasm.. I wanted to throw them into bed already!  The build up was really good so much so that when they got together I literally said "FINALLY"!  What also comes to mind always is Kate's devotion to him and how she fought to stay at his side when he was in a coma... and how he endlessly worries about her but still gives her the space she needs even if that space is full of danger.  Oh I can just go on too.  Bottomline.. I LOVE them!
sniggle
Kitten

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 03:29:28 am »

"everything" seems like such a simple way to put it, yet it is the best way because it is true. I have read MANY MANY books in my life, fantasy, paranormal romance and several other types of books. Most were good, some were wonderful and only two series I have read were down right stunningly artistic, the Kate novels and the Coldfire Trilogy by C S Friedman. Writing is like any other art form, some people have a true GIFT. I wolfed the Kate novels down as if my mind were starving and I never lost interest. I laughed out loud and even got teary eyed a few times.. it is a true artist who can invoke emotion through thier skills wether it be writing, painting, music or what-not. Thank you very much, Ilona and Gordon, for enriching my life with your amazing talent. 
dsolo
Free Person of the Code

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 02:40:15 pm »

I know this is an old forum, but still working my way through this site, since I only started reading Kate's books this year.  On the plus side, I got to read the entire series in a couple of weeks, on the minus side, I'm now obsessed and can't wait for the next book.

What I love most about Kate's world is how different it is.  The secondary characters are as interesting as the main ones.  You have your vampires and werewolves, but not like most UF.  But come on, hyenas?  It's so crazy, but it works. 
Natalie
Kitten

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »

Everything about them - they're original in the world building but it's not just that.  It's the fact that the world building, and writing, is done so well.  They are, by far, the best written and world-created books I've read!

Lorilei
Lyc-V Infected

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:27 am »

The character development and world building are unlike any UF series I have read.  I love that Kate sees herself very clearly, knows where she stands and even faced with terrifying moments, she pushes through and shows incredible courage, even when facing death or in the scene in Magic Slays - "grasping Death's whiskers".   Cheesy
Also, she knows she is not a classical beauty..."striking, I can do".  And she is just fine with that.  And last, she seriously kicks butt - that chick has cajones....and Slayer.  I like that she is 'human', she has vulnerabilities(which tick her off) and I enjoy watching her learn to open her heart and love her Lion completely as he loves her.  They (Curran & Kate) and the rest of the cast of characters are not sappy.  They are hard-core, in-your-face with their realities and make no apologies for who and what they are.  I like that, and the snark is hysterical!

This series is beyond fantastic and one of my reading obsessions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: