This weekend I talked Gordon into a home improvement project. We’re slowly trying to get the house in shape. We made a nice guest room, a nice media room,we renovated the living room, which still needs a little work, and now the office gets a turn. We had repainted it and hung up new curtains shortly after moving in, but that was about it.
The former owners had used the office as a dining room, and it’s large and spacious. Our computers are siting at one end, and at the other end there was this beat up junk shelf and a tacky sofa table onto which Gordon and the kids put an old TV. They went through a phase of wanting to play old Sega Saturn games, which necessitated a purchase of an old TV for $25. Old games don’t look nice on high resolution TV sets. We also bought a small couch to sit on in front of the TV. After about two months, they got tired of playing the old games. We donated TV to the Goodwill. I stuck my plants onto the sofa table in an effort to revive them after the move. It didn’t look great from the start and slowly degenerated into a complete and total mess.
This weekend, I decided I had it. We bought things at Home Depot, I measured everything, and Gordon heroically drilled holes and screwed the screws with my assistance. He was a very good sport and claims to not have minded. Final results:
Total cost: 5 shelves $6 each, 5 sets of brackets, about $11 each, some cheap pots, two pricier, $10 pots (the ones with rope), 3 $6 miniature roses, and the wooden vase and the treasure chest I got at Family Dollar, for $2 and $3 each. Overall, I’d guestimate under $200 easy. No books have been harmed: they are completely removable, although getting them back on the shelf requires some muscle, so I stuck to pretty books I use rarely or have double sets of.
That’s Bob (Roberta) orchid under the window. So I name my plants, leave me alone. Mindy very generously sent me a whole bunch of orchids. Some orchids are doing really well. Bob is not. Bob is sending bunches of new roots everywhere and looks really dried out. In an effort to keep her alive, I drench the new roots, which makes a big mess, which is why Bob is sitting in that white plastic thingie. The plan is to figure out some sort of esthetically nice arrangement for her, which will probably involve a large tray of pebbles and water.
Update for people asking how bookshelves were done. Here is a How-to: click here. It does take a lot of patience, because books don’t want to do this. It looks best if you keep them as snug against each other as possible. Also I practiced a bit on a board, and if you do this, make sure the shelves are attached into the studs, because they are heavy. We attached brackets to shelves, then attached the books, then attached shelves to the wall.